Become our sponsor and display your banner here

WW2 US Army Bag

Article about: Hello all, I'm not too familiar with this field of items; however, this US army bag caught my eye recently. I was wondering if there is any definitive way to tie this bag to WW2, as I'm far

Default WW2 US Army Bag

Hello all, I'm not too familiar with this field of items; however, this US army bag caught my eye recently. I was wondering if there is any definitive way to tie this bag to WW2, as I'm far from an expert in these items. Any help/info is much appreciated!

WW2 US Army BagWW2 US Army BagWW2 US Army Bag

- - ------- - -

G'day, no this is part of the US pat 56 kit (Butt pack)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 US Army Bag   WW2 US Army Bag  

Last edited by reneblacky; 01-24-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: added pic

So would this be more post-korea, pre-vietnam? I'm just getting into collecting US militaria so have much to learn haha

Quote by chbingle View Post
    So would this be more post-korea, pre-vietnam? I'm just getting into collecting US militaria so have much to learn haha
    There could be a DSA stamp there on the cover, these were used up to the 80's

Thank you for the info!

Quote by chbingle View Post
    Thank you for the info!
    no problem, enjoy collecting US kit as I do. will help out if I catch your posts.

M56 buttpack indeed, used mainly in Vietnam but examples still turned up in Desert Storm. M56/Vietnam items are getting more popular to collect recently, so nice find!

NCA
    ?

I dunno...somethings are a bit odd on this. The straps look a lot wider than normal, the US stamp is different, you don't see this serrifed font on M-56 gear and the webbing strip around the pack look very thin?

No stamp on the inside of the lid?

Quote by NCA View Post
    I dunno...somethings are a bit odd on this. The straps look a lot wider than normal, the US stamp is different, you don't see this serrifed font on M-56 gear and the webbing strip around the pack look very thin?
    You do have a good point. I dug up my examples and they all have the narrow straps and the thin font 'US' stamp. Worth investigating what this one is... early/late variation, non-US with added stamp or copy?