Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WWI or WWII canteen ?

Article about: Picked this up yesterday , just like to know what era . Also is the full webbing around it normal ? It is wet so that explains why it is so dark . Thank for the help . Annoyed from this ads?

My example of the short bucket type canteen and cover can be found here.

37 pattern short bucket type carrier and water bottle
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great information - I had no idea there was so many verities of British style water bottles, you guys are true experts!

CBH
    ?

Thank you Karkee for the most informative reply ! The stopper is attached to the body of the canteen with a metal ring under the felt . So I guess it is Canadian . Thank you again for all the information , and thanks to everyone for all the replies .
    Cheers Chris

?

My pleasure Chris!

Canadian waterbottles are my favorite of all the variants...they are so well-made.

jwp
    ?

Great thread, I have a canteen which may be a bit of a mix and match, it has a full length khaki bucket P37 carrier marked inside : R.P.LTD 1944, there are some faded makings on the wide section of the shoulder strap which appear to read : D & M LTD the broad arrow mark with a number underneath ?2, the bottle appears to be a mark VI with rounded spout, blue enamel with shoulders and the cord is attached to a wire loop to the side of the spout, the thick felt cover is dark grey, I suspect with the LTD after the makers initals on the carrier it must be a british version but should the felt cover be khaki rather than grey ?,
    cheers,
    John.

?

Hi John,

The waterbottle you described sounds like a Canadian bottle in a British made carrier, but pictures would help a lot.

It's true that Canadian bottles of the Mk VI style tend to have a cover that are more gray than khaki...

WWII Canadian Mk VI
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp 3.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	629340

WWI British Mk VI
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp 2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	629339

jwp
    ?

many thanks for that, as usual will have to take pics at the weekend as i'm not at home in daylight during the week Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN03622.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	629440, but just to illustrate here is a pic from the internet, mine is like the one on the right, thought it may be RAF but the carrier is army khaki as opposed to the RAF blue colour webbing I have seen,
    Cheers, John.

?

Hi John,

The photo you posted shows a couple of Mk VII waterbottles. The one on the right is the standard Mk VII that was adopted in late 1939 and used well after the Second World War. The bottle on the left is an RAF Mk VII that was introduced after the Second World War (The RAF used drab covers concealed by sleeve carriers during the war).

It is very possible that you have an RAF bottle in a khaki cover...they could have been paired up at any point since they were first issued decades ago.

Another great response/post Karkee, Well done mate.

Cheers

Dave

jwp
    ?

Quote by karkee View Post
    Hi John,

The photo you posted shows a couple of Mk VII waterbottles. The one on the right is the standard Mk VII that was adopted in late 1939 and used well after the Second World War. The bottle on the left is an RAF Mk VII that was introduced after the Second World War (The RAF used drab covers concealed by sleeve carriers during the war).

It is very possible that you have an RAF bottle in a khaki cover...they could have been paired up at any point since they were first issued decades ago.

thanks for that , I think you may be right, will take pics on weekend,
    many thanks,
    John.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast