Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value

Article about: Hi, I have what I think is a WWII Abercrombie & Fitch Red Cross Bag. I have been trying to find any others online, but I can't find any, or any information on it. Can anyone help? I am t

Default WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value

Hi, I have what I think is a WWII Abercrombie & Fitch Red Cross Bag. I have been trying to find any others online, but I can't find any, or any information on it. Can anyone help? I am trying to find a general value on it, and if it is actually from WWII. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value   WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value  

WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value   WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value  

WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value   WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value  

Default Re: WWII Abercrombie & Fitch American Red Cross Bag Question of Value

A&F were a well established retailer in New York and frequently in transit personnel purchased needed gear from their outdoors and custom tailoring departments. A friends Grandfather bought his Khaki Trenchcoat from A&F when in transit before shipping out to serve with the AEF in WW!.
    Before they went bust and the name was bought for use as a GenX brand, they were a store serving the Upper Class of New York, Philadelphia, Boston and Baltimore. Think of Harrods. If you were "of the class" you bought everything from your first school uniform to your fly fishing clothes at A&F...you went to Brooks Brothers for your first suit and your wedding outfit.
    A&F had a uniform department and did carry haversacks, bags, etc that met Milspec quality but were never "official" as a supplier.
    This appears to be a private purchase shoulder bag that was stenciled with the owners name and service number.
    I have seen the same or similar bags at New York country houses used as Fly Fishing or Hunting bags.