Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

WWII British Assault Vest...Real or Fake...Lots of Photos

Article about: canvas weight is another factor. example shown weighs in at 3lb. 5ozs

Default Re: WWII British Assault Vest...Real or Fake...Lots of Photos

canvas weight is another factor. example shown weighs in at 3lb. 5ozs

?

Hi Richard,
    sorry to tell you this item is a fake, as Ade stated these were sold by a very well known London dealer back in the 1990's as genuine and yes Qourn Mills is a fictitious name. I've done quite a lot of research on these in the past few years, as I now make my own reproductions of the Battle Jerkin and the Skeleton (Bren) assault vest.

here's an example, mine are stamped HT&C + date (old production) Heco + Date on new production.

Technical stuff:

The resaons I have my doubts is that the tread is the wrong colour and weight, as it should be Khaki yellow or Brown, most repro's use white (I've only seen this on the prototypes). Weight of thread metric ticket # 12 or in old money linen thread 18/4 cord, on your vest it looks about metric 40 which is about the same as domestic weight sewing machine cotton, also the fabric looks like the modern stuff due to dye colour and finish, the wartime canvas is a little darker in shade and treated with a waterproofing agent which stiffens the fabric some what. Finally on most models the tabs that attach the entrenching cover to the back of the vest are squared in proportions also the upper two are stitched between the spaces of the vent holes ad not set lower down.

As to your Bren vests I'm pleased to say they both look 100% genuine.

Nige H
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Nige:

Thank you for the information. Not what I wanted to hear, but now I know what I have suspected from Day One.

?

Hi Richard,
    I promise this is the last response, just to say I found a copy of the original advert for these from the mid 1990's and here's a modified version with no dealers details. The statement "In un-issued virtually mint condition" made me laugh, I bet when this advert went to print, the ink was barely dry on those 1943-44 dates they had stamped on these.

Nige.

"Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Nige:

Thanks for searching for and finding that old advertisement. It seems to complete the sad story.

Concerning the apparent "title" or heading that captioned the old advertisement:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fake Title.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	212728

Was this part of an article from a publication or an online forum? I'd love to see more.

Thanks again!

Hi Richard, the title is a bit of Nige's photoshop work to cover up the dealers name.

Cheers, Ade.

I spotted this thread and would like to ask if anyone has any pictures of a repro or genuine WW2 British Tan Training Assault Jerkins/Vests? I have been offered one but repros are a minefield

Hi Mark, a tan one will be a safer bet on the whole.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Here's a modern UK made repo (Ebay UK)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011brenvestfront-1[1].jpg 
Views:	1432 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	466370

and a link to the site
    WWII British Commando Skeleton Assault Vest (1st Pattern MADE TO ORDER) | eBay

There is also a tan version on this site

I have also seen cheap Chinese copies advertised in this country.

Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave, these are made by Nige, our forum Moderator. This is the vest as opposed to the Jerkin that Mark is interested in.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast