Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles"

Article about: Hi Guys, Few years ago I bought a whole load of CDN Dust Goggles, turns out I have around 120 pieces ! I managed to take some photos of the dust goggles, but I forgot to take a photo of the

Default WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles"

Hi Guys,

Few years ago I bought a whole load of CDN Dust Goggles, turns out I have around 120 pieces !

I managed to take some photos of the dust goggles, but I forgot to take a photo of the pile.....bugger !!

I think there are numerous MKs of this kind of Anti-Gas goggles.

For example, earlier ones have metal fixing hooks and ring at the end of the elastic ties, later ones are shoelaces, some have thick reinforcements around the lenses as well, the ones I have are all clear. May be someone has a complete Mks of these goggles. If so, please feel free to post them here.

German General Erwin Rommel was famous for wearing this pair of goggles on his visor cap which was captured from British supplies. Post war collectors call them Rommel Goggles.

Here are the photos and instructions of how to use the goggles.

Above photo shows the red brown cardboard package of the dust goggles, in this case "EYE SHIELD ANTI-GAS Mk. III E" made by C. MFG. Co. LTD.

I am not sure per how many were in the contents, originally. Each light brown paper package contain one piece of rapped up goggles (right side).

Close-up of the dark brown package. Notice the C-Broad & Arrow on top right corner.

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Front) WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Back)

Above photo show the front and back side of the light brown package.
    Interestingly, there are few different patterns to it. Above example is thin lines printed, I have one which is circles in circles pattern (No photos available yet).

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Front)

When the goggles were taking out of the light brown package, the black shoelaces were folded tightly around the center.
    The lacquered green colored flap is the visor of the goggles (always on top), two brass snaps are visible as well (pointed stud is the front side).

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Back)

Above shows the back side of the goggle, can tell by the white resting or sweat pad, three staples were snapped on.
    Two gray metal studs and the brass studs with hole in the center is also visible.

Close-up shot of the brass stud, notice the UNITED CARR marked.

The British version has a different type of stud. Similar to the one on Dispatch Riders' Helmets (Photo above).

Markings on the right back side of the goggles. It is stamped in black "1943 m. W,S. LTD CANADA".

Some of my examples are stamped in white. Also notice the back side of the gray stud.

Close-up of the tip of the ties. Early versions has a ring and hook combinations.

The following photos/steps shows how to use the goggles:

Step #1

Face the back side of goggles towards you while untying the black ties. Unfold both ends of visors as well.

Step #2

Fold one side of plastic lense towards yourself and snap the gray and brass stud together, repeat on the other side.

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles"

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Rear View)

Step #3

Place the goggles on your face or head gear and tie to fix the laces. Complete !

A Third Reich artillery officer's visor was used as an example.

WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Front View) WWII Canadian Dust Goggles a.k.a "Rommel Goggles" (Side View)

Hope the above information help.

Best regards,
    Taka
    Last edited by SHINDENKAI; 02-14-2014 at 12:10 PM.

?

Excellent detailed thread Taka thanks for posting them I will have to locate a pair to display with my Canadian Tan over painted Mk II .

Regards Mark

Thank you for the kind words, Mark.

I would like to know exactly how many different Mks are there, it would be wonderful to lay them from Mk. I ~ Mk. III for comparison.

Cheers!
    Taka

?

That would make for a most interesting display

Regards Mark

?

Funny, someone must have found cases of those...about 3 years ago they started showing up at the Military shows here in Ontario..they were hard to find before that, Just like those unissued WW1 1915 dated Canadian Glengarry Hats, unheard of until someone found a box of them.
    Makes me wonder whats still packed away!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Interesting info there Dean.

I got my goggles from a warehouse in Calgary. I saw them packed in few different boxes, so I scooped up pretty much all of them. Unfortunately, the paper packages all have 10c written on it, it's not 10c when I bought them but I' m happy that I got them all.
    I also saw two shopping carts full of WWII light gas mask pouch, they were all Australian made, too bad they don't have straps with them, otherwise I would take them all, lol!

Regards,
    Taka

I have a package of these somewhere as well. Nice that they
    can still be found in bundles rather inexpensively.........
    Regards,

Steve.

interesting thread taka ,my british example is very similar if not the same as your but just tinted ,ive never seen pictures of this type i have in use thanks for sharing yours
    Regards James

I had a pair of them years ago were all over here in the states 1970 or so Unique Imports sold them as just that Rommel Goggles nice display Taka enjoyed it very good detailed thread. timothy

We did a thread on Rommel wearing these on the German Soft Headgear forum if anyone is interested:

Rommel's Goggles
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”