Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Article about: Well, there I was walking around the Show of Shows this year minding my own business, looking for ways to spend my hard earned money, when the cell phone rang. On the other end was my friend

?

Default WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Well, there I was walking around the Show of Shows this year minding my own business, looking for ways to spend my hard earned money, when the cell phone rang. On the other end was my friend and fellow forum member Bryan. He asked me whether I was interested in WWII ration items and I replied “Yessiree!” Bryan said, there is a K ration crate with the cardboard carton still inside over at Hayes table and the price is very reasonable. After taking a good look at the crate/carton and with an excellent sales pitch by Bryan I made the leap and bought it. But that was after I walked away from it once and then reconsidered. After all I have never priced or explored an item like this and was an absolute neophyte. BTW. Bryan, thanks for thinking of me and don’t forget to hit Hayes up for your 10% sales commission cause you really deserve it!!

In my wildest imagination I never thought I would be ever be buying a K ration crate anytime soon for my collecting and definitely not at the SOS. I hope the pictures tell enough of the story for you all.

Also, here is an insert I made so that my K ration crate would look full of K rats. I already had two sets of the repop camo K rat boxes and I bundled them together so I could color photocopy one end once and have 2 rows of rations. I made six copies and had my twelve rows of rations. I then carefully cut out the copies and pasted them to a cardboard frame I made after measuring the inside opening of the carton.
    I think it turned out perfect and I didn't have to spend a lot of cash buying more repop k rat boxes to fill up this puppy.

Bob

WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 datedWWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 datedWWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 datedWWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 datedWWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Default Re: WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Great idea. It really does look like a full crate.........!

( 'Hiram Walker' produces the famous 'Canadian Club' whiskey, and an assortment
    of other alcohol/liquor beverages. They are located in Walkerton Ontario, Canada.
    I suppose they could have had - and still may have - several offices
    across North America )
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Good job looks great Bob.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. FYI. Here is the bundle of repop K-rats I used to photocopy for two rows of rats.

WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated

Very cool find Ive seen a individual ration here and there for 75-150$ but never a find like that. I did happen to find a large group of d-rations in a friends fathers footlocker!!! He said he remembered eating them as a child he ate two in about ten miniutes and was sick and constipated for a week! ... to bad he didnt save those too Thanks for sharing!

?

AmericanKraut, I think you may have misunderstood my original post. I did not buy a crate full of K-rats. I bought the empty crate with liner and then made a cardboard insert to make it look like it was full of K-Rats. I am sure there are still undiscovered, full WWII crates of K-rats out in the world, but unfortunately I have not been lucky enough for find any of them.

Bob

I understood that, I was mentioning that the crate was awesome I have only seen reproduction ones and a few real individual rations. As a reenactor alot of the items I see like this are repros, no one brings their good stuff in the field which is probably a good thing ...
    -Ben

?

AmericanKraut, Thanks for the kind words. I guess the misunderstanding was mine. Sorry.

Bob

lanche57
    ?

I just stumbled on these, can someone help me with a value, they are unopened.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated   WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated  

WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated   WWII K Ration Crate and Carton buy from SOS, Hiram Walker & Sons, INC. made and 10 - 44 dated