Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

2 SS Erkennungsmarken

Article about: Hello collectors, today I have ordered 2 EKM from a dealer who as i think is really fair. I expect they are both goods, however can anyone help me please with identifying Pioneer EKM? I can

Default 2 SS Erkennungsmarken

Hello collectors,

today I have ordered 2 EKM from a dealer who as i think is really fair.

I expect they are both goods, however can anyone help me please with identifying Pioneer EKM? I can not find in what division it served.

THank you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 SS Erkennungsmarken
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 2 SS Erkennungsmarken

I am new to I.D. discs ........ i do not see a blood type, perhaps this isn't standard, but i think it is ?????? If ya are looking for more, that are definitely real, i have a few in the classifieds area on here.

Their bloodgroup was mostly on their body.

?

Blood groups are sometimes found on SS tags and sometimes not so there ommision is not a problem , the Prinz Eugen tag looks ok , i'm not aware of a SS Pi Bau Btl 2 as certainly it wasn't a component part of Das Reich so will have to check that out,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

SS Pi Btl 2 the Pioniere component of Das Reich did not encompass such a unit as mentioned on this tag , but it would appear it exisited as an independant unit , SS Bau Pi. Btl. 2 with FPN 48556 !!

(2.1.1940-11.3.1943) Stab II u. 5.-8. Kompanie Infanterie-Regiment 71 (B),

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) gestrichen,

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 3.10.1944 Stab, 1.-4. Kompanie u. Kolonne SS-Bau-Pionier-Bataillon 2.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

I have found some DRK newspaper title about lost men from that unit Pi.Bau.Btl 2, however i can not find from which unit it can be. Many thanks for your time Paul

?

Quote by Newbie View Post
    I am new to I.D. discs ........ i do not see a blood type, perhaps this isn't standard, but i think it is ??????
    Actually I've recently learned that it's rather less-common than even I thought; unissued stock discs account for a percentage of those without blood groups- since discs have simply a unit and roster number, they're not personalized and thus a unit can have a stack of them ready to distribute; only when they're issued do they become personalized with a blood group stamp. Since blood grouping is a serological test, and in the 1940s they didn't have the level of industrial production of the necessary biological material for the test that we have today (theirs came directly from living animal sources), one can easily imagine wartime pressures affecting availability at times. Plus as the war progressed there were more and more men entering the military and they were heading into the field faster and faster- doubtless it wasn't done regularly in the last year or so I should think.

In this case, the SS-Gebirgsjäger disc has an extremely high number suggesting it's either very late or unissued stock; and we know the SS-Pionier-Bau unit was very late so that could explain that one's lack of a blood group mark too.

As Doggie said, it is known that some SS men had their blood group letter tattooed under their left (I think it was) arm, however it wasn't a universal or even common practice it would seem- it was an earlier one and again as the war progressed, it too likely fell by the wayside more and more; fully half the SS discs I've ever seen have blood groups on them suggesting their wearers didn't have a tatoo (it'd be redundant), and since it's often difficult to demonstrate a disc was issued when there is no letter, it's hard to know how often it wasn't there because of a tattoo.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

I like both tags
    Take a look at mine Prinz Eugen tags, small differences in font on them, but same style
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 SS Erkennungsmarken  
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Yup, the 11 isn't the same, but that's to be expected; the 7 is identical- with a far lower Stammrollennummer, apparently this Bataillon made a LOT of stock discs.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by Dimas View Post
    I like both tags
    Take a look at mine Prinz Eugen tags, small differences in font on them, but same style
    Original finds from the Narva front , very nice Dim !!

1st July 1916