Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2. SS Pi. Btl.5

Article about: by Matt L Yes, definitely; it's identical to the one Glenn had and I have no doubt that one's fake. It'd take some very, very convincing evidence to make me believe otherwise anyway LOL Like

Default 2. SS Pi. Btl.5

Hi guys, what do you think of this ERK? A friend from Denmark owns it and he got it in a trade from another Danish collector. The dog tag once belonged to a Danish SS volunteer.
    I would appreciate any info on the unit.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2. SS Pi. Btl.5   2. SS Pi. Btl.5  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2. SS Pi. Btl.5
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: 2. SS Pi. Btl.5

SS pioneer battalion 5 "Wiking" is the unit, Part of the SS division "Wiking".

Compare to my ground-dug example...
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images 2. SS Pi. Btl.5 
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-24-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.
    Glenn it lookd identical. I am not 100% sure for number "2" but it could be the pictures. Yours is too small and the letters on mine are white and not very clear.

I don't have it anymore, but still keep photos for reference...

cheers, Glenn

- - Updated - -
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 07-24-2013 at 04:26 PM.

?

Hmmmm... that one Glenn had has been discussed here before; I have a different photo of it in my fakes file. The reason being the Stammrollennummer- it's impossibly high. There's just no way nearly 3000 men were in the 2. Kompanie LOL Typical Kompanie strength is around 250? That'd be an insane turnover rate LOL Even if it were a Bataillon roll, that's still way too high- and since it's marked '2.' it's not a Bataillon roll. What's more, that '2' is a very well-known fake form; it may or may not match known ones perfectly, but it looks just like ones that are well-known. And the roll numbef fonts on these two discs are different- that's not usual. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Danish Volunteer' disc's roll number font matched a known fake type...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Hmmmm... that one Glenn had has been discussed here before; I have a different photo of it in my fakes file. The reason being the Stammrollennummer- it's impossibly high. There's just no way nearly 3000 men were in the 2. Kompanie LOL Typical Kompanie strength is around 250? That'd be an insane turnover rate LOL Even if it were a Bataillon roll, that's still way too high- and since it's marked '2.' it's not a Bataillon roll. What's more, that '2' is a very well-known fake form; it may or may not match known ones perfectly, but it looks just like ones that are well-known. And the roll numbef fonts on these two discs are different- that's not usual. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Danish Volunteer' disc's roll number font matched a known fake type...
    Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.
    So you have a bad feeling on the one i posted?

Thanks, Matt...Your explanation makes perfect sense...as usual, lol...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Hi Matt, thanks for your reply.
    So you have a bad feeling on the one i posted?
    Yes, definitely; it's identical to the one Glenn had and I have no doubt that one's fake. It'd take some very, very convincing evidence to make me believe otherwise anyway LOL Like a photograph of this supposed Danish Volunteer actually presenting the disc he'd kept for 60+ years to the first collector, and there being a document signed by him stating formally that it had been his during the war. I suspect though that it was simply that someone looked up the records and found that number had been a Danish soldier- if even that. They might simply know the unit was made of largely Danish men or something.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

I did not see that tag posted in the fake section anywhere is it there? If not can we add this one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast