Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke

Article about: So in one unit, you could have: '934 Stammkompanie/ Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 7' '659 Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 216 ' 123 Jaeger-Reg. 456 etc, etc... And of course the million dollar questio

Default Re: 4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke

I have finally received everything I need to make this nice little display!

The tag came from an auction, the certificate from Klaus Butschek, the late Heer breast eagle from a local dealer years ago, the cord from a very kind Herr Boos (Thanks again by the way!), and the frame from Wal-Mart.

So from what I have researched, I have developed a few questions:

Gren. Ers. Btl. 216 was in Frederikshavn, Denmark at the time of Gefreiter Thyssen's injury. Why was he at the hospital in Litzmannstadt? Was he injured, recovered in Litzmannstadt, later sent to the unit, and then did he later receive the certificate from the head doctor in Litzmannstadt?

I have read a bit and I have seen evidence in soldbuecher that wounded soldiers were often sent to reserve battalions, sometimes more than one, after they were released from the hospital. Could this explain why he might have ended up in Gren. Ers. Btl. 216? Perhaps his rank is evidence of this situation as well?

Sorry to be so full of questions, I just like to know as much as I can about everything in my collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke   4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 4. Inf. Ersatz Batt. Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

Looks good all together Mo!
    All you need in there now is a BWB.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Looks good all together Mo!
    All you need in there now is a BWB.
    Ralph.
    Thanks! I love setting up little displays like this. I am holding out for a K&Q to match my silver and gold grades. Common, I know, but for whatever reason I am having a hard time finding them lately.

?

Hello,

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    So from what I have researched, I have developed a few questions:
    Gren. Ers. Btl. 216 was in Frederikshavn, Denmark at the time of Gefreiter Thyssen's injury. Why was he at the hospital in Litzmannstadt? Was he injured, recovered in Litzmannstadt, later sent to the unit, and then did he later receive the certificate from the head doctor in Litzmannstadt?
    I have read a bit and I have seen evidence in soldbuecher that wounded soldiers were often sent to reserve battalions, sometimes more than one, after they were released from the hospital. Could this explain why he might have ended up in Gren. Ers. Btl. 216? Perhaps his rank is evidence of this situation as well?
    I will try to explain this...

This is all about an affiliation between a field and its replacement unit.

When soldier (after his induction and training) entered a field unit, the field unit had to enter its affiliation with replacement unit in section D of page 4 of his Soldbuch.

In your case, soldier might have been injured either in Eastern Front or in fights with Polish partisans while he was serving in field unit. His wound might have been treated at several field hospitals and finally he ended up in reserve hospital in Łódź (Litzmannstadt).

The procedure when soldier entered a hospital was as follows. The hospital informed the responsible replacement unit (displayed in the soldier's Soldbuch), which automatically placed him on the rolls of its convalescent company. It was done regardless of whether he had ever been in this unit or in the place (i.e. Denmark) where his current replacement unit had been stationed. Then, the hospital received instructions from the replacement unit whether to send the soldier on convalescent leave or to send him directly to the convalescent company after his discharge.
    Additionally, the replacement unit requested the field unit to drop him from its rolls and to forward his Wehrpass and other documents.

In your story, Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 216 was the unit which inducted the soldier, issued him the ID tag and remained affiliated replacement unit at this time of his military service. He was "crossed out" from the field unit during his medical treatment and his current unit was Gren. Ers. Btl. 216 at this specific period of time. That's why the hospital in Litzmannstadt sent the certificate to this unit.

?

So it's not necessarily that he was wounded while on the roll of GEB216, but rather this was the simply the unit he was formally associated with when the document was made- is that right?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Affirmative Matt.

There is another very important point behind this story.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Gren. Ers. Btl. 216 was in Frederikshavn, Denmark at the time of Gefreiter Thyssen's injury.
    Frankly speaking it is not true...

Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 216 at this time was in Germany while his "sister" training unit Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 216 was moved to Frederikshavn, Denmark.

It is the result of significant reorganization of replacement army which took place in Autumn 1942. At this time all basic replacement training units were split into two parts. One (with the designation Ersatz) to handle induction and replacement and the other to handle training (with the designation Ausbildungs).

The soldier could not have been wounded on the roll of GEB216 and ended up in hospital in Poland cause... GEB216 was in Germany. Definitely he was at field unit while he was wounded and the normal administration procedure, which I mentioned in my previous post, had applied.

This thread should be a sticky! So much useful information! I love it!

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I love it!
    Glenn66, it's nice to hear it

Quote by Matt L View Post
    I once met a guy whose entire collection of 40 or so SS discs was fake.
    Poor guy must have cried!

I have 4 SS discs, all thoroughly researched and vetted BEFORE handing out the big bucks.

Amazing! Thanks, guys.

I believe I have found my new niche...

One last question though. I have heard that "Thyssen" is a well-known family in Germany. Perhaps this guy was a member of this family? Can anyone tell me more about that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast