Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken

Article about: I recently received my 2nd Erkennungsmarken of the 6th Totenkopf Standarte, this one being attributed to a member of the Stab (Headquarters) kompanie. As we know, the 6th SS Totenkopf Standa

Default 6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken

I recently received my 2nd Erkennungsmarken of the 6th Totenkopf Standarte, this one being attributed to a member of the Stab (Headquarters) kompanie. As we know, the 6th SS Totenkopf Standarte was formed in Prague in 1939, assigned garrison duty in Norway in May 1940 then designated 6th SS-Infanterie-Regiment in February 1941 and assigned to Kampfgruppe Nord (later to be 6th SS-Gebirgs-Division Nord) in the spring of 1941.

It's in a very delicate condition with 3 of the 4 joints corroded through so only the left-most joint holds the sections in place. I am therefore extremely careful in the handling of this artifact.

6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken

This is my 2nd erkennungsmarken of the 6th Standarte. My example from the 7th company exhibits a dedicated 'TOTENKOPFSTANDARTE' stamp so I believe I can deduce that the STAB Kompanie disc is a later version with its individual lettered stamping. Perhaps Matt or Stacsz can shine light on this?

6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 6. Totenkopf Standarte Erkennungsmarken
    P
    Many

?

Yup, that's what I'd expect is a reasonable explanation too; the 'first issue' type was that with the single long stamp, made industrially (as doubtless a machine was necessary to stamp discs so nicely with what would have been a big stamp), and as more were needed, they just went over to the standard method of single stamps and a dude with a hammer...
    Last edited by Matt L; 11-19-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks Matt!

Nice one Glenn !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem