Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Erkennungsmarken ID

Article about: Hi all, Just the usual request, Could anyone identify the following for me. 1.Schtz.Ers.Kp.62 2087 blood group o I know it's from a replacement Battalion but little else. Any help would be g

Default Another Erkennungsmarken ID

Hi all,
    Just the usual request,
    Could anyone identify the following for me.
    1.Schtz.Ers.Kp.62 2087 blood group o
    I know it's from a replacement Battalion but little else.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    David
    Another Erkennungsmarken ID
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-14-2011 at 07:57 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Erkennungsmarken ID
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Another Erkennungsmarken ID

David welcome to the forum if you search the Lexikon der Wehrmacht facilty available in this section you should find the info you need,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,
    Thank you mate for the welcome it's a pleasure to have found the site.I guess what i'm looking for is my tag "decoded " by someone who knows far more than myself with regards to these matters so i have a starting point.I think what i am looking for is the 62rd Inf Regt to begin with but due to my lack of facts(i'm only guessing) my starting point is cloudy as this is my first disc and i have a very limited understanding on how to read them.
    Cheers Paul
    David
    Last edited by Thanatos; 10-14-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Hi Again,
    After reading some posts re Erkennungsmarken i am just wondering due to todays hard economic times what % of complete disc's come from sites containing human remains (i think we know the ones i speak of).It hit home when i was reading a post regarding a complete disc and some insignia that came from such a site a number of years back.
    As i live at the bottom of the world my collection is limited to artifacts obtained through friends etc travelling and purchasing desired items is an on-line thing and is fraut with danger.This is my first disc and being complete it never crossed my mind that a complete disc could mean missing in action.I would hope the % is very low in this regard as such an item would not be desired by myself.
    Just wondering what others think?
    Cheers
    Dave

Hi David, welcome from me too.

Your tag reads:

1st Zug /Schützen-Ersatzkompanie 62.

2087 is his Roll number.

As you already know, "O" is his blood group.

Here is a link to show how this type of unit was organised:

Schützen-Ersatzkompanie

Hope this helps?

Cheers, Ade.

Hi ade,
    Thanks and Gday.
    Mate that is great,thank you kindly.It gives me a starting point hay.
    All the best
    Dave

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Your tag reads:
    1st Zug /Schützen-Ersatzkompanie 62.
    Hello,

This is wrong ID. The corect one is as follows:

1. Schtz. Ers. Kp. 62 = 1. Schützen-Ersatz-Kompanie (Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon) 62 = 1st. Rifle Replacement Company/ 62nd Infantry Replacement Battalion
    Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 62 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Hi again,
    Thanks you have all been a great help.
    Could i assume 2087 would be a earlier 62rd Replacement Batt. roll number. as one would think a large number of men would have moved though such a unit.
    Cheers
    Dave

?

Right- unfortunately Schützen means 'rifleman' but was also a formal unit type for mechanized infantry, so it can be a bit confusing. Most people go the formal unit type immediately when seeing these discs but the key is that it's an 'Ersatz Kompanie', which is what means it's 'rifleman' and thus simply the Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon of the given number- were it the mechanized infantry it'd be Schützen-Ersatz-Bataillon. It's also possible to tell this by checking the number- there was no Schützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 62, therefore it has to be IEB 62.

You can tell for sure the disc predates August 1943 as that's when the designation Schützen was changed to Panzergrenadier. As for the roll number, 2087 isn't really very low in truth- this is a Kompanie roll not a Bataillon roll remember. I don't know exactly how long a training period lasted, but if one assumes it wasn't less than 6 weeks, and there were on the order of 80 new recruits in each Kompanie every 6 weeks, that'd mean 25+ 'classes' or nearly 3 years'-worth to get to 2087. So even if the time were a little shorter and there were a few more men, it's still well into the war that this soldier joined the Wehrmacht.

Oh and 'Erkennungsmarken' is plural- 'Erkennungmsarke' is singular
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Gday All,
    Thanks Matt,Stacez,Ade for your help,very greatful.
    I promise i will attempt to improve my German Matt.
    Thanks again blokes.
    Cheers
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast