Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Any info or opinions on this id tag...

Article about: I've had this ss-totenkopfstandarte id tag tucked away in my collection for the last 20 years, and just re-discovered it a couple days ago. I've attached a couple pics. It's made out of a gr

?

Default Any info or opinions on this id tag...

I've had this ss-totenkopfstandarte id tag tucked away in my collection for the last 20 years, and just re-discovered it a couple days ago. I've attached a couple pics. It's made out of a gray base metal, and seems to have honest age and wear. I'd like to hear any opinions anyone may have, or, unit info. I belive that the O is a blood type, and, the 280 is a roster number. What might the G stand for? Is it ever possible to do more research and attach a name to german id tags? I hope to get some feedback. Thanks, Rob.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any info  or opinions on this id tag...   Any info  or opinions on this id tag...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Any info  or opinions on this id tag...
    P
    Many

Default Re: Any info or opinions on this id tag...

I've never seen huge thick font letters such as this piece has. I quite doubt it's authenticity.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the forum. That big stamp with the thick letters is typical for an SS-TOTENKOPFSTANDARTE disc- I have images of a lot of them, including a pile that were just dug up. Unfortunately, I can't match them 100% since there aren't many unique features and those images are smaller so super-fine detail isn't so visible. But I don't see any reason for concern.

They always have 'extra' markings on the obverse, like this one has a 'G'; the ones I know have numbers: 7/6, 9/6, 10/7(?), etc., which would be a Kompanie and Standarte number. Many had names like SS-Totenkopfstandarte Thüringen, SS-Totenkopfstandarte Brandenburg, or SS-Totenkopfstandarte Dietrich Eckhart- this one would seem to be SS-Totenkopfstandarte Germania, which later became the Panzergrenadier-Regiment.

Even though I can't match the main text exactly, the rest of the disc and its markings do look perfectly fine and since the G is a somewhat obscure marking compared to the simple numbers, it's even more doubtful this disc is bad- I'd expect a faker would choose the obvious, recognizable markings.

And no, you can't find out whose disc it was- privacy laws protect service records so only close relations have access.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Matt,
    Thanks for your help! I have seen a couple other pics of ss-totenkopfstandarte tags with the same type lettering, but, I know that it's not typical of german id tags. Thanks again, Rob.

?

You bet Rob. The text is definitely not a typical form for Erkennungsmarken; in fact this is the only unit I can think of with fat block letters like that. Fortunately, that makes them fairly easy to recognize. A faker would have to have the full-text stamp made, which might be not so difficult today, but I doubt 20 years ago it'd have been done; they were stuck on the Rokas and other crude fakes back then. Plus you'd certainly see more of them- and this is the very first one in good condition I've seen. Relic ones aren't so uncommon, but nice ones surely are.

?

I agree with Matt that looks original. I have never seen one in that good of condition or with a "G" stamped on it Mine are "8/6" and "11/6" stamped with the roll number on the reverse like this one.

?

Glenn just posted one with the same text but marked 7/6 at the top in the thread: 12 SS T Standarte relic tag - it's post #4