Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker

Article about: Hey guys I wanted to share this tag with you. I recently went to a small city near Berlin for a week long metal detecting hunt and we had some good finds. One of them was this disk (not foun

Default Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker

Hey guys I wanted to share this tag with you. I recently went to a small city near Berlin for a week long metal detecting hunt and we had some good finds. One of them was this disk (not found by me).The buddy that found it gave me the marker as a gift. I thought it was pretty neat and when we got to the house we looked up the specifics on the disk and it turns out it was from a POW at the concentration camp Bergen-Belsen. My guess is the POW was Russian but I dont think I will ever truly know. Pretty neat piece of history even though it is really sad. The half marker is from a POW camp near Frankfurt Germany it was found in the same area Thanks for looking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker   Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker
    P
    Many

Default Re: Bergen-Belsen Stalag Marker

Quote by Kolby72 View Post
    Hey guys I wanted to share this tag with you. I recently went to a small city near Berlin for a week long metal detecting hunt and we had some good finds. One of them was this disk (not found by me).The buddy that found it gave me the marker as a gift. I thought it was pretty neat and when we got to the house we looked up the specifics on the disk and it turns out it was from a POW at the concentration camp Bergen-Belsen. My guess is the POW was Russian but I dont think I will ever truly know. Pretty neat piece of history even though it is really sad. The half marker is from a POW camp near Frankfurt Germany it was found in the same area Thanks for looking!
    Quite a grim souvenir of the dark side of WW2 but fascinating piece of history too. It would not be impossible to research if the details are clear and legible though and if the recipient was Russian maybe the Russian Embassy could tell you where to begin research and also the Imperial War Museum. Regards, Tim.

Very interesting, I wasn't aware inmates were issued with these. I assume it was just POWs? You say it was found in the same area, so by that do you mean outside of the camp location? It would be interesting if you actually could research the one who possessed this, and their fate. A few days ago I purchased a Totenkopf badge, later finding out from the man I bought it from it was brought back from Bergen-Belsen. If only these things could speak. Here's the topic on it: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-un...l-story-82264/

Mat

Hey guys thanks for taking a look! Toxicgas these were only given to POW's. It was found near Berlin not out side of the actual camp. My guess is as the war was winding down they were moving the POW's whith the regular troops and the man who carried this dropped it in the forest. In this special spot we have found a good number of tags from regular soldiers to POW's. Tom I would not know the first step to finding the owner of this tag it would most likely be a lenghty process

Quote by Kolby72 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for taking a look! Toxicgas these were only given to POW's. It was found near Berlin not out side of the actual camp. My guess is as the war was winding down they were moving the POW's whith the regular troops and the man who carried this dropped it in the forest. In this special spot we have found a good number of tags from regular soldiers to POW's. Tom I would not know the first step to finding the owner of this tag it would most likely be a lenghty process
    First stop i think should be the Imperial War Museum and see where they point you. The Russian Embassy would have links with many organisations and individuals that could help so id try both, you will be surprised at what can happen with this kind of research! Regards, Tim.

Sorry, I misread. While researching the camp, all I have heard is of large scale moving of prisoners into the camp from elsewhere, further contributing to the overcrowding and spread of disease. It would be interesting if someone knows any details of the context in which this tag got where it did.

Mat

Yeah it would be awesome to know more about all of the relics me and my buddies have found, sadly I think most of it is lost to time...