Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Broken SS ID-tag

Article about: What you guys think of this broken ID-tag. I know nothing about them... Thx.

?

Default Broken SS ID-tag

What you guys think of this broken ID-tag. I know nothing about them... Thx.

Broken SS ID-tagBroken SS ID-tagBroken SS ID-tag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Broken SS ID-tag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Broken SS ID-tag

No good.

The text is incorrect. It would not be marked at Divisonal level.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Okay Ade, thank you very much.

Cheers,

Kris.

?

I would not touch it. There is no unit other than the Division. It is not marked correctly, no roll number it is probably blank stock re-stamped recently.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    No good.

The text is incorrect. It would not be marked at Divisonal level.

Cheers, Ade.
    Actually, only most of the time that's so- the Hohenstaufen did keep a Division-level roll so every soldier just got a disc marked 'SS-Pz. Gren. Div. Hohenstaufen'. So it's not strictly impossible that the 27. did it too at some point.

The text on this disc is actually interesting- the unit was the 27. SS-Freiwilligen-Grenaider-Division, so the marking is technically accurate; it's a faker's mistake to always put the name on such units to make them instantly recognizable- and were this a fake, I'd have expected ,,Langemark'' to be on there too. But it seems the marking was initially 'FRW' and then the 'G' was done over the 'W'; and someone mistakenly put a dot after the G making it incorrectly a separate abbreviation- it ought to be 'GR.' not 'G.R.'. And the pencil (?) lines that were to apparently help keep the stamping in line? are weird.

Apparently there was an influx of Flemish recruits as the Divison was formed in late 1944, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that in the probably chaos it was decided to issue Division discs to all the new soldiers rather than Regimental ones- those that didn't come from proper replacement units that is. But no roll number obviously means it wasn't issued if it is real. Why it would be broken is anyone's guess- maybe it was stock that was broken and discarded. Or it's fake LOL

I find this one strangely compelling- it's in the category of not clearly 100% provably fake, but odd enough to maybe be real; the kind I'd have taken a chance on if it were cheap- not enough to be painful if it turns out to be fake afterall that is. I can't recommend buying it of course...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...