Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Concentration camp laundry tag?

Article about: We see so many everyday items here that have been tarted up with SS Runes, Swastikas, dubious markings, stampings, etc...that I'm not overly surprised to see these...I hope you stick around

?

Default Concentration camp laundry tag?

Hello:

First I would like to introduce myself.
    I'm Sajer I come from Spain and my main interest in collecting are dog tags ( from XIX century till now with special interest in WWI, WWII and spanish civil war) and the Afrikakorps.
    I´ve been following your forum for a while and today I decided to join, I hope to learn with you and I hope that my post will be useful to other collectors as well.

I post here a couple of tags for your advice, according to Jean Hoidal's book ( see pic) these are laundry tags (or something like that) used in concentration camps he says that at least a picture proves so ( but I couldn,t find it).
    Since I just collect military tags I'm not very fond of KL tags and I would like your advice on them.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Concentration camp laundry tag?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Concentration camp laundry tag?  Concentration camp laundry tag? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Concentration camp laundry tag?
    P
    Many

Quote by Sajer View Post
    I post here a couple of tags for your advice, according to Jean Hoidal's book ( see pic) these are laundry tags (or something like that) used in concentration camps he says that at least a picture proves so ( but I couldn,t find it).
    Since I just collect military tags I'm not very fond of KL tags and I would like your advice on them.
    First, welcome to the forum.

As for the items, personally, I don't believe in them one bit.

A request: Could you re-scan the book page so that the full text is legible? (The left and right parts are cut off here, but I think it does not say that photographic evidence supports these as being laundry tags.)

The book says "angeblich", meaning "Supposedly/Presumably" these are laundry tags...however, I have doubts as the tag is supposedly from the Extermination Camp Treblinka, Prisoner No.553...
    I'm with HPL2008 on these...I don't trust them one bit...Who ever heard of "Inmate Laundry Day" at Treblinka? My personal opinion, of course, but I wouldn't spend my money on these questionable items, friend...
    Welcome to the Forum!
    cheers, Glenn

?

Hello, and thanks for your reply

Instead of scanning the book I write for you the text wich will show exactly what is written ( I prefer not to translate it to english as my german is very poor and someone with the apropiate skills will be able to do it properly).

"Die Folgegen marken sind keine erkennungsmarken in den sinne sondern angeblich wäschemarken fur die kleidung der gefangenen. Allerdnes sind auf fotos aus den konzentrationslagern zu sehen, wie die gefangenen ihre wäsche an den barackenwänden aufhängen also nichtt ihre wäsche komfortabel gewaschen bekommen ( was auch verunderlich wäre)"

From Jean Hoidal's Deutsche Erkennungsmarken. Von den Anfängen bis heute

Thanks. As I suspected: No photographic evidence. It translates as:

"The following tags are not identity disks as such but presumably laundry tags for the prisoners' clothing. However, photographs from concentration camps show how the prisoners hang up up their laundry on the barracks walls, thus not having their laundry comfortably washed for them (which would be strange enough to begin with)."

?

Most likely another "detector-find" from Eastern Europe. The second we "believe" this, more will suddently appear with every camp name we can imagine.

My own opinion ofcource, i dont wish to offend any member living in the Eastern Europe.

?

Doubtful or not, any relation to Treblinka would patently be with the Arbeitslager, certainly not the extermination camp.

Default pathetic...

Well it is not really about Treblinka is it. The marks all have different KZ names, Groß-Rosen..... What a shame that trees had to die to create pages that were then filled with these images.
    They dont even warrant their own thread, never mind pages in a book.....

?

I had my doubts about the fact that came from KL as the other one comes from Malinka ( wich as far as I now is a polish village near Treblinka with no direct relation to the lager ) I purchased them for 30 eur both I while ago from a guy in UK he was not militaria dealer but had a bit of everything ( coins, stamps and all that)and knew nothin about them and later on I found the info in Hoidal's book. The doubts that I have is if they are fakes , why do a fantasy fake? why we don,t see more of them around ( we are tired of SS, Oraniemburg etc fakes) and regarding the stamping is it really worth to make these gothic lettering stamps to make these?

Quote by Sajer View Post
    The doubts that I have is if they are fakes , why do a fantasy fake? why we don,t see more of them around ( we are tired of SS, Oraniemburg etc fakes) and regarding the stamping is it really worth to make these gothic lettering stamps to make these?
    HA HA, nice try. Welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast