Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Could my Grandpa have worn this style of EKM ?

Article about: Hi Matt , Thank´s for reacting on my latest posting. I really was pleased when I got the letter from the WASt !! Very strange the fact that in Berlin they did not find anything about the ser

Default Re: Could my Grandpa have worn this style of EKM ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	017 - Kopie.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	397491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016 - Kopie.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	397490Hi Matt ,

Thank´s for reacting on my latest posting.
    I really was pleased when I got the letter from the WASt !!
    Very strange the fact that in Berlin they did not find anything about the
    service in the KM , because in the Wehrpaß we find his full service record.
    For your further information pleas have a look below.
    I also tend to think that he was issued a KM EKM with the datas given in the Wehrpaß : O 220/31T
    Meaning : Ostseestation Roll Number 220 / 1931 first military service and T for technical personnel.

I got also quite a lot information about my other grandpa Sepp , he was the one writing home from
    Stalino.
    He served in the IR 130 at the beginning of the war , and I have some very close matching EKMs to his unit.
    As I do not have any documents about his service ( Wehrpaß lost to time ) I really liked the information coming from the WASt
    and giving some answers to questions I had for quite some time.
    For example : my cousin owns a pics showing Sepp and comrades sitting in front of the Acropolis in Athens/Greece .
    I always wondered how the heck he would have made it to greece , because the IR 130 as part of the 45th Division never left Russia .
    The answer came from the Wast telling me that Sepp served also in the Transport Begleit Kompanie 16 zBV in Wien...lot´s of information
    that are most welcome.
    Again thanks for your interrest.

Best regards

Bernhard

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Could my Grandpa have worn this style of EKM ?

Not so odd really- the specific records officially kept by the KM or whomever must either have been destroyed, lost or taken- the fact that you have the Wehrpaß is just very fortunate. Just because he has a roll number doesn't mean he was issued a new EKM though- as you can see in the regular army unit listings, he had roll numbers there too that were different than on his issued EKM. Now because it was an entirely different branch might suggest he did, but I think only if he actually transferred formally to the KM and was given a proper rank there, etc.- is there any notation of such a thing? Otherwise he may simply have been on a temporary assignment- 'on loan' as it were because of his technical expertise. Unfortunately, I think the Wehrpaß doesn't have a section for the EKM like the Soldbuch does; in those, changes are clearly written.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12