Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dog tag help

Article about: Hi Guys , i got this half of a dog tag which was in this leather pouch in with a few items & just wondered does it have any value as it is broken ? Thanks in advance for any replys

?

Question Dog tag help

Hi Guys , i got this half of a dog tag which was in this leather pouch in with a few items & just wondered does it have any value as it is broken ? Thanks in advance for any replys Dog tag helpDog tag helpDog tag helpDog tag helpDog tag help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dog tag help
    P
    Many

Default Re: Dog tag help

Hi, i would say from what i can see that the halve you have is from a guys tag when he "bought it". The other half will be with who-ever passed it on to the approprite authority! No massive value but well worth keeping hold of. Nice one

?

Here is some info on the unit , the tag was issued by an Infantry Replacement unit for the 58 ID which was a veteran Army Group North Division !!

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 154 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

The value of a tag like this is not great but a nice piece of history !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Nice early tag!

?

Thanks guys , is the leather pouch just a personal item ? have you seen similar ones before ?

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    Thanks guys , is the leather pouch just a personal item ? have you seen similar ones before ?
    Yes, private purchase I think or possibly field made, but not uncommon to see them. Adds a nice touch to it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    Yes, private purchase I think or possibly field made, but not uncommon to see them. Adds a nice touch to it.
    Thanks Jerry

?

There's no reason to believe the tag and the pouch ever went together. Jerry is right, they're private-purchase items, and since the top half was left with the body if a soldier was KIA, the pouch would remain as well. It'd have been necessary to cut the neck cord to get it off and then it'd have to be tied again to keep the top half of the disc in place- possible, but unlikely I should think. That's a cheap pouch. These were probably bought separately by some collector and just put together.

The half is in nice shape- the value of a disc is more in the unit than the condition however; a damaged half of a very rare unit can still be quite valuable. This is just a regular Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon disc, of which there were millions, so it isn't anything special. Maybe $12-$15 since it's in decent shape? It's not early though Ob- 'Infanterie' means it pre-dates late 1942 when that term was changed to 'Grenadier', but that's a high roll number for the 1. Kompanie, so it might even date from '42- more mid-war I should think.
    Last edited by Matt L; 07-27-2012 at 02:55 PM.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    There's no reason to believe the tag and the pouch ever went together- Bond is right, they're private-purchase items, but since the top half was left with the body if a soldier was KIA, the pouch would remain attached. These were probably bought separately by some collector and just put together. The half is in nice shape- the value of a disc is more in the unit than the condition however; a damaged half of a very rare unit can still be quite valuable. This is just a regular Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon, of which there were millions, so it isn't anything special. Maybe $12-$15 since it's in decent shape? It's not early though Ob- 'Infanterie' means it pre-dates late 1942 when that term was changed to 'Grenadier', but that's a high roll number for the 1. Kompanie, so it might even date from '42- more mid-war I should think.
    Thanks for the heads - up Matt , as it is now deemed low in value i will probably just keep it now

?

Sure, it's a nice enough example. Even were it complete, it'd only be worth maybe $25 or $30, and the pouch can't really be authenticated so it's more of a curiosity than anything.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast