Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Erkennungsmarke Pouch

Article about: Questions about the pouches used to carry Erkennungsmarke. Are these commonly faked? Were they private purchase or issued by the military? The bottom pouch is from a particular vendor and lo

Default Erkennungsmarke Pouch

Questions about the pouches used to carry Erkennungsmarke. Are these commonly faked? Were they private purchase or issued by the military? Erkennungsmarke PouchErkennungsmarke PouchErkennungsmarke Pouch

The bottom pouch is from a particular vendor and looks a bit odd. The vendor has several of these and they all have the outline of the disk showing on the leather and the holes do not seem to show sigificant wear.
    Most others I have seen do not have the pronounced disk outline.
    The first 2 photos are from a different source and, at least from the photos seem more authentic. Any opinions on these particular pouches or pouches in general is appreciated. Sorry about the scrambled appearance of the post, I am new at this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarke Pouch
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Erkennungsmarke Pouch

It seems likely they were private purchase items, judging by the variety there seems to be in design; one I have is actually somewhat complex and designed to keep items from falling out by interweaving the flap into the body of the pouch. They're not strictly for carrying the disc either- they're for coins, religious icons, or other little important things a man might want to keep safe as well. The disc itself doesn't technically need protecting or anything.

I expect they are faked, since it's easy to make them, but I haven't seen many I thought were dodgy- they're not common, nor particularly valuable by themselves I should think. The few I have all came with discs and it was clear they were original. The cord on that first one looks to be an original style, but it's overall hard to tell from so small a photo. The second one looks realistic enough, but it's such a simple piece, it's hard to say- it wouldn't be difficult to make it in one's basement either.

I wouldn't expect wear on the holes- the pouch wouldn't tend to move much due to friction, and the pouch/disc/contents, wouldn't be heavy so as to pull on the cord either; plus one never knows how long something was worn- it could have been a short time. Overall I'd say buy cheap and get a return guarantee- then you can have a look and see if you feel comfortable personally, and in the end if later somehow it turns out to be bad, you're not out a lot...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thanks for the info Matt. Any chance you (or anyone else) could post photos of your pouches as a reference for us?

?

Sure thing- these are the two I have:

Erkennungsmarke PouchErkennungsmarke Pouch

Not a disc pouch but rather one for other things and just hung on the cord with the disc.

Erkennungsmarke Pouch

A plain pouch with the disc mark clearly visible and marks on the holes showing it was worn on a cord for some time.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...