Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Erkennungsmarken - Fake?

Article about: I've looked through the fakes gallery and the fonts gallery, but am none the wiser. I received this with a lot that I recently bought and would please like to know what you guys think. To me

Default Erkennungsmarken - Fake?

I've looked through the fakes gallery and the fonts gallery, but am none the wiser.
    I received this with a lot that I recently bought and would please like to know what you guys think. To me it looks too new. Thanks in advance.
    Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erkennungsmarken - Fake?   Erkennungsmarken - Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarken - Fake?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Erkennungsmarken - Fake?

Hi Tom,

Indeed those aren't commonly-seen fake fonts, so no you wouldn't have found them in the example threads- and thanks for checking first! It's definitely a fake though because the unit simply didn't exist. MG Ersatz units were Bataillone, not Abteilungen; there was no MG-Ers-Btl 5 even so it's complete fantasy.

The second major thing to do when evaluating a disc, after checking the font, is to check the unit- the Lexikon der Wehrmacht has a complete listing and you'd see there that there isn't a section for MG-Ersatz-Abteilungen, but there is one for MG-Ersatz-Bataillone- that's the easiest mistake fakers make

You're right though- it just looks bad all over; not 70 years old for sure, no wear, crappy stamping and another giveaway is that the blood group letter is done with the same stamp set as the unit text- the blood group was put on after a disc was made, by a different person in a different place, so would never be identical- usually it's fairly different in both form and execution (sometimes very deeply-stamped, for example).

Hopefully it was a very minor part of the cost of the lot...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Thank you Matt. At least my gut feeling was correct.
    The lot cost only $87, so no loss. 3 out of 5 ain't half bad!
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images Erkennungsmarken - Fake? 

?

Three? Not to be a killjoy but have you had the SS buckle authenticated or know them well enough yourself to be sure it's good? I know those are faked quite heavily; and the bronze disc with the eagle- if that's a KRIPO warrant tag, well those are dangrous too. The party pin looks good though and the bronze profile bust probably...

Matt, the buckle, a good 822/37 has been OK'ed by Ben , the party badge is a good early RZM marked Karl Hensler and the Hitler Tinnie by Deschler is also good.
    I knew the Secret Police ID disc was bad, but was just unsure of the disc above. By my reckoning that's 3 out of 5.

?

Oh good- for a second I was a little concerned for you LOL

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Oh good- for a second I was a little concerned for you LOL
    No worries Matt, thanks for the concern though. I made sure to check before buying and Ben's advice and help was invaluable.
    Tom