Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

Article about: by LustForRust Hi Fascinating thread, can anyone give me any thoughts on this one ? Sorry just realised I should have posted a new thread perhaps than adding it on here Thanks Hello Bad Fake

Default Re: Erkennungsmarken made after the ww2- fakes

Quote by LustForRust View Post
    Hi

Fascinating thread, can anyone give me any thoughts on this one ?

Sorry just realised I should have posted a new thread perhaps than adding it on here

Thanks
    Hello

Bad Fake

Best regards, Fronti

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes
    P
    Many

Hi

As a none expert, what gives it away as a fake ?

Cheers

Quote by Frontalschaden View Post
    Hello

Bad Fake

Best regards, Fronti

Quote by LustForRust View Post
    Hi

As a none expert, what gives it away as a fake ?

Cheers

Hello

The well known stampset is typically for fakes and untypically for this sort of HG tags.

Best regards, Fronti

?

Default Re: Common Fake Fonts

Common Fake disks. I think you can get any of these from ioffer even today.Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- FakesErkennungsmarken Made After WW2- FakesErkennungsmarken Made After WW2- FakesErkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

?

Default Re: Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

A dubious SS-Pionier disc that's been discussed previously:

The reason is that the Stammrollennummer seems impossibly high- there simply couldn't have been nearly 3000 men in just the 2. Kompanie over the course of its existence without the single worst loss rate in human history LOL Even if it were a Bataillon roll, which the marking doesn't suggest it is (or it wouldn't note the Kompanie), it's even high since a Bataillon had maybe a third that many men. SS-Pionier-Bataillon 5 only existed with that particular title from 22.10.43 (previously it was SS-Pionier-Bataillon Wiking), until 9.44 when it was changed to SS-Panzer-Pionier-Bataillon 5, so it's even less-likely that 3000 men had been through in just a couple of years (SS-Pi.Btl. Wiking was created in 1941).

Moreover, while the text looks convincing, the numbers are not- the '2' in particular is of a typical form that's found on many fakes; it's not identical to any example I have an image of, but the shape is. This one's bottom horizontal line is just a little shorter than most. And once again there's the weird partial splitting of the roll number on either side of the bottom hole- very common on fakes but almost unheard of on real discs. All this suggests very strongly it's a fake.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Default Re: Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

Thanks again, Matt...Your input is very much appreciated!
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by Matt L View Post
    I'd suggest that anyone who posts a fake in here point out just why it's bad- so all can learn from the specifics.
    Hi guys. I am late to the show, but better late than never.
    I have read many times in this section that distinguishing between good and bad dog tags is an art on it`s own, and in some cases can be very tricky. In a 1993 book by R.Cowdery, he says something along the lines of: It is not possible to tell a good tag from a tag made yesterday, and anyone who says they can is bragging/showing off....

I dont agree with that author, and in fact i say that it is quite easy to tell a fake disc apart from a modern disc. If you think about the numbers, and the metal they are impressed on, it is nothing more than common logic - assisted with forensics.

If you look at one small section of a letter/number, under magnification, you get an image like this:

Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

You can already actually see which dog tag is fake just from these small portions of the letter, BUT - If you scan the whole letter/number under magnification, (take 20-50-100 photos,) then join all the images together, you get a "true" image of the number/letter. A huge magnified image that is then shrunk to a normal size. So the enlarged image you are looking at, is basically the whole letter/number, under extreme magnification. So then you can see "everything" at once, and look for the important points:

The honest patina. If your dog tag is genuine, then it was worn, it was "used", dog tags were not medals kept in a box. So if a piece of metal, with numbers/letters, stamped into it, was worn, then it will show you this under magnification. Below are 2 examples.

An easy to spot fake tag for sure, but just used as a demonstration in this case to show you the missing honest patina. On the actual disc surface, as well as the letter edges, there is Absolutely no signs of wear and tear, no honest patina, no use.

When you compare the same kind of images taken from an original tag, you can now see what i mean with "honest patina" the signs of "Been there and done it"

The Hitler Diaries were only exposed as being fakes through the use of Forensics, after 10 experts had said YES, they were real. I am surprised that the use of forensics has not carried through onto the other smaller items we collect, because it is, as you can see from the images, irrefutable.

That was my word zum Sonntag, even though it`s Wednesday

Default Need help with this disc

What about this disc? Got it for free from a Russian in Volgograd; found in the Gumrak area.

Thx,

Puma

I find it strange that all tags are being faked as there are ihundreds of thousands in existence yet I understand ss tags are frequently faked/ so how is it possible to know them all?? with thousands of variations how can they all be condemned as fakes?? is it possible they are not all fakes and very possible they actually are original?? who is really the expert??

I will post pictures of some that I have .. I am curious to see what you think of them.. I appreciate your knowledge and its a pleasure to learn from all of you.. many thanks

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast