Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Erkennungsmarken opinions please

Article about: The Erkennungsmarke pictured below is being advertised as an original. After looking through the sticky threads, I couldn't rule it out as a fake so I would be grateful of any opinions given

?

Default Erkennungsmarke opinions please

The Erkennungsmarke pictured below is being advertised as an original. After looking through the sticky threads, I couldn't rule it out as a fake so I would be grateful of any opinions given as this really is not my area.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Erkennungsmarken opinions please   Erkennungsmarken opinions please  

Erkennungsmarken opinions please  
    Last edited by CARL; 11-24-2011 at 01:20 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Erkennungsmarken opinions please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Erkennungsmarken opinions please

What does it say. I can't make out what it says after the SS. 4? My geuss is somebody stamped a blanco Erkennunsmarke with some strange font, and strange Einheit. I would be very cautious about this one...
    On the end "TRUPPE" doesn't seems to be speld right. Some letters are missing.

?

Looks pretty bad to me- it is 'SS Verfügungstruppe', properly spelled, but the Umlaut is missing; not impossible on a real disc, but extremely rare. There's no unit though- 'Div' is not anything. I'm sure I've written it a thousand times by now but always be very wary of sans-serif capital lettering- rare on real discs, extremely common on fakes. This one has nothing whatsoever going for it, so I'd pass. And Erkennungsmarken is plural- this is an Erkennungmsarke- no n on the end
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thank you Matt.

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Looks pretty bad to me- it is 'SS Verfügungstruppe', properly spelled, but the Umlaut is missing; not impossible on a real disc, but extremely rare. There's no unit though- 'Div' is not anything. I'm sure I've written it a thousand times by now but always be very wary of sans-serif capital lettering- rare on real discs, extremely common on fakes. This one has nothing whatsoever going for it, so I'd pass. And Erkennungsmarken is plural- this is an Erkennungmsarke- no n on the end
    Matt you've got better eyes than me !!! Your appraisal is spot on as usual
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Well it took me a while of staring at it to realize all the letters were actually there- it's just very compressed, which isn't impossible for an original, but far, far more likely to just be a result of a faker having stamps that were just too large to get a long word like Verfügungstruppe on an Erkennungsmarke cleanly I was already pretty sure it was bad just from looking at it, so it was really just a matter of locating the errors LOL

It's actually very nice of fakers to so commonly use these silly sans-serif, tall, narrow, capital letters all the time- so whenever we see those we can immediately be suspicious...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Thanks again Matt, I shall keep that in mind.