Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke - Real thing ?

Article about: Interested in buying this Gebirgsjäger dogtag, looking at it and referring to the Lexikon der Wehrmacht the unit did exist, the stamping layout is similar to Gebirgsjäger dogtags that I have

?

Default Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke - Real thing ?

Interested in buying this Gebirgsjäger dogtag, looking at it and referring to the Lexikon der Wehrmacht the unit did exist, the stamping layout is similar to Gebirgsjäger dogtags that I have and seen on the internet. One thing I'm unsure about is the stamps style, what to members think worth a punt ? Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke - Real thing ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke - Real thing ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Gebirgsjäger Erkennungsmarke - Real thing ?

Alech,

I see nothing wrong with that disk, I would buy it. I like the fact that the neck cord holes look used, the stamping on the Unit is different than the roll number and blood type.

?

I see nothing obviously wrong with it either Alec- it's definitely important that the blood group letter not be the same as any of the unit letters, and in this case it looks like a typical standard blood group stamp (the only standard stamps there were- although they weren't universally used of course). It's one I'd have taken a chance on- providing the price is decent.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Eike, Matt,
    Thanks for the posts, the points raised - different blood group stamp, roll number stamp I had no idea about, most informative and very handy to know about. The dog tag was cheap, I took it for 20€. Again thanks for the help. Alec

?

Well I think what Eike is referring to is that the numbers of the roll number appear more deeply stamped than those of the unit, suggesting they were done at a different time, by a different person- otherwise one would expect them to be the same; since there are no repeated numbers and the size looks about the same, it can't be said the stamp sets are different. What the apparent difference in the way the roll number was stamped suggests is that possibly the discs were marked with the unit, and then later all the roll numbers added. It's not necessarily anything really 'good' since it's not normal by any means- most discs appear to have been stamped all at once- but it's not something fakers do all that often, so is just one little aspect that makes a disc look a little less potentially bad A faker can easily just use different stamps for a roll number or strike them harder to make them look different- that's why it's not evidence a disc is real. In fact, they do try to mix things up to avoid the 'tell' of everything being the same. But they use known fake fonts or make other mistakes that undermines the effort.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...