Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German army ID disc details

Article about: I came across this site by accident and hoped you could help? My father was Polish and conscripted into the German Army in WWII. The particulars on his ID disc were rank..gren 3561/stkp.G.E.

smith
    ?

Default German army ID disc details

I came across this site by accident and hoped you could help?

My father was Polish and conscripted into the German Army in WWII. The particulars on his ID disc were rank..gren
    3561/stkp.G.E.U.A.B 397
    DIVISION.. 362
    MARCH-KP..

Could anyone help me find out what the above is?.
    Many thanks, Chris.

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: German army ID disc details

This thread's pretty old but it was misplaced so nobody who knew anything saw it I guess- Ade just moved it here so I figured I should at least answer in case the writer subscribed to it or anyone else happens to read and be interested.

The disc markings stand for

Stammkompanie/ Grenadier-Ersatz-und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 397(root company, Grenadier replacement and training battalion 397) and 3651 was his roster number.

The rest is a bit disjointed or incomplete and wouldn't be on his identity disc with the rest- they'd be just other details about his service. Division 362 could mean Infanterie-Division 362 or the main division the replacement unit was part of (that'd have to be looked up- the Lexikon der Wehrmacht site would have it), and my understanding is that a Marschkompanie was a sort of mobile gathering unit for men assembled after convalescence or otherwise regrouped to go back to the field (a temporary organization). These both sound like things that'd be indicated in a Soldbuch or on a service record.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Default Re: German army ID disc details

Thanks Matt. Hopefully the original poster will see this as he subscribed to the thread.

Cheers, Ade.