Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German SS Dog Tag

Article about: Hello Guys, This is a Dog Tag I traded recently traded along with a Panzer and Kriegsmarine. I am informed it is for a soldier in Infantry Regiment Grenadier Dept Central. Anyone has any oth

Default German SS Dog Tag

Hello Guys,
    This is a Dog Tag I traded recently traded along with a Panzer and Kriegsmarine.

I am informed it is for a soldier in Infantry Regiment Grenadier Dept Central.

Anyone has any other info that can help please let me know.

Regards

Jim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German SS Dog Tag   German SS Dog Tag  

German SS Dog Tag   German SS Dog Tag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German SS Dog Tag
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German SS Dog Tag

Hi again Jim,

I'd trade back if I were you. I have no idea what this is supposed to be- it has all kinds of problems:

- The text is a muddle of nonsensical terms- Infanterie and Grenadier are mutually-exclusive terms because the former was changed to the latter, so they don't go together; there's no such thing, that I could find, as a Grenadier-Depot-Zentrale and it certainly makes no sense to have a field Regiment mentioned with any kind of depot anyway.

- There were a couple of SS-Infanterie-Regimenter but no 45.

- The 'Waffen-SS' is orphaned and meaningless in its present position, especially if it's meant to go with the JR45 since then it's completely wrong- 'Waffen' was never included in formal unit titles like this- it would be simply 'SS-J.R.'.

- The fact that the lettering all has that brownish 'corrosion' inside that's dissimilar to the rest of the disc and that the back side's dark corrosion is clearly missing where the text is would seem to indicate this is an old blank that someone stamped more recently, thus causing the old oxidation to come off the back and necessitating 'aging' the newly struck letters on the front.

- The lettering is all the same recognizable stubby sans-serif that's common on fakes.

Really there's not one redeeming feature or anything that's uncertain about this fellow, so do, if you can, get it back to its previous owner...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Go to agree with Matt whoever did this one luckily had no idea about Waffen SS unit designations !!
    Last edited by Paul D; 03-10-2011 at 02:15 AM.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Thanks Matt,
    I do not collect these things so your info is helpful.
    What I had put on the the post was given to me by a friend who has a book written by Ulrich of England,you may of heard of him. He is supposed to be an expert on this sort of thing.
    No probs with it going back though.

Regards

Jim

?

Ulrich of England are experts on many areas of Third Reich regalia but i suspect EK's are not one of them !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

You bet Jim- glad it can go back. I know of the book Ulrich's published, but given the first work of the author, I wasn't expecting it to be of much use; that first pamphlet 'book' Burroughs wrote has little useful information and actually has as many or more errors and usupported assumptions than facts. I definitely wouldn't trust that particular publication without confirmation. Collecting Erkennungsmarken is a very specialized area, and it takes a lot of experience and study to really know the ins and outs and I'd say quite certainly that after the 8 or 9 years I've been doing it, I still find it challenging at times...

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Ulrich of England are experts on many areas of Third Reich regalia but i suspect EK's are not one of them !!
    Yes, that`s right and you can see it in his book of mistakes. (Sorry: book of dogtags)

The dogtag shown above is a new stamped one. Look at the backside !

Best regards, Fronti

k98
    ?

German SS Dog TagGerman SS Dog Tagbest regard boys i never see in my life look at this dog tag

Quote by k98 View Post
    German SS Dog TagGerman SS Dog Tagbest regard boys i never see in my life look at this dog tag
    That`s another fake, too !

Best regards, Fronti

?

Yup- I don't see this one being real either. There were many Totenkopf-Sturmbanne, and there was an extremely late-war, ad hoc unit called SS-Festung-Grenadier-Regiment-Besslein, created for the defense of Breslau, but together I don't think the terms make any sense. Plus Regiment-Besslein was created from various training units, so doubtless never had its own identity discs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast