Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?

Article about: Hello, I am new and have no idea what I recieved. I received these two items from my elderly neighbor, who's husband recently passed. Now her husband was not drafted or in the war, because s

Question German LAH "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?

Hello,

I am new and have no idea what I recieved. I received these two items from my elderly neighbor, who's husband recently passed. Now her husband was not drafted or in the war, because she states that he was not at the age to be drafted stating "He just made it." But, they did take his brother. Also, it seems to be made out of aluminum. I also got one collor tab.

I would also like to know the value of these if possible.

So, hear are some pictures. I am looking to decode the dog tag to determine what I have. THX
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?   German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?  

German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?  
    Last edited by rslscobra; 02-28-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: added photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German "Waffen-SS" Dog Tag Identification help?

Greetings- welcome to the forum.

The disc's marking is:

1. Kompanie, SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 2 Leibstndardte Adolf Hitler; 1st Company, 2nd SS-Armoured Infantry Regiment LAH (Division)

It's hard to say whether or not it's real though- if it wasn't the guy it came from who brought it back from the war, and even if it is sometimes, that's not a great deal of help- there's nothing obviously fake about it, and the abbreviation 'RT' for 'Regiment' is uncommon so a point in its favour I would say since fakers are usually pretty standard (or outright wrong). The text seems correct enough and the low serial number could mean this was a unit replacement disc- one meant to be given to soldiers who'd lost their original one. It doesn't have any obvious wear on it, and no blood group so if it was taken during or at the end of the war, that makes sense.

The only issue I have is that by the time this unit was created, the proper designation of the Division was LSSAH, not just LAH, however discs are quite rare so I don't actually know if every unit specifically marked their discs with the extra bit. Units seemed to have some free reign with how they abbreviated their titles for Erkennungsmarken, so to help authenticate the disc, you might try to see if you can find someone with a Soldbuch from this Kompanie- it'd have the owner's Erkennungsmarke text written in it- although as I said, most men would have a disc from their first training units, so it might be a tough task.

What might also help a little is to see if you can find out if the collar tab and disc were acquired together and if the former is indeed real (the SS insignia section folks can help there)- if it is and they were, that's positive.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Matt L.,

Thank you so much for all that info. I'll see what else I can find out. Thanks again.

?

You bet- it'll be nice to know what you find out because it could potentially be a great piece.

i need help with information about this dog tag urgent

?

Hello,

Erg. Komp. Waffen SS Zeesen = Ergänzungs-Kompanie der Waffen SS Zeesen - Supplementary Coy of the Waffen SS Zeesen

?

That's a nice one- fairly certain to be real since the text is a dedicated stamp, not individual letters. No idea what the exact nature of the unit is though- there's no information about it I can find. Apparently I just read these aren't uncommon discs...