Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

German WW2 ID Discs

Article about: Need to know what unit this is and what were their job...... Thanks BILL

Default German WW2 ID Discs

Need to know what unit this is and what were their job...... Thanks BILLGerman WW2 ID Discs
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German WW2 ID Discs
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: German WW2 ID Discs

Wall. Wachabt. II. Batl. = Wallonische Wachabteilung II Bataillon

It was guard battalion, so I think it's self-explanatory

?

And that's actual guards, who watched things, not 'Guard' in the way the Soviets and others used it for elite troops. There isn't much information save that Sicherungs- (security) and Kriegsgefangen- (POW) associated units sometimes switched designation to and from 'Wach', and weirdly a number of Bau-Batillone became Wach-Bataillone. So they would seem to have provided site security, POW camp security and the like; the RAD also had Wachabteilungen that are said to have been factory and farm guard personnel. Obviously in this case it was foreign volunteers- Wallonians (southern Belgium). So they weren't combat troops, although there's no formal listing for the unit I can find- they may eventually have been used at the front like many other technically non-combat units were...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Fascinating information Matt, it's always a treat to read your indepth translation of these tags. I've got a few I need to throw on here if I can ever wrangle the time to do it.

Thanks,
    Jay

Everyone thanks for the information on this ID disc....BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...