Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grenadier Replacement Battalion 192, 0 Blood Type, Soldier 2330

Article about: Is Stm. KP. HQ company for this grenadier battalion replacement company? I had this shipped from Volgograd in 2010 and believe it is authentic. Would you chime in on it being a good disc and

Default Grenadier Replacement Battalion 192, 0 Blood Type, Soldier 2330

Is Stm. Kp. HQ company for this grenadier battalion replacement company? I had this shipped from Volgograd in 2010 and believe it is authentic though I am not sure I have identified it fully correct.
    Why would the "r" in Gr differ than the stamp in the "r" in Ers.
    Would you chime in on it being a good disc and if it is headquarters company of the 192nd Battalion.
    Another question, was aluminum like this erkennungsmarke popular in use among ID discs. My thinking is it's cheaper than the other alloys used in the earlier years of the war.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenadier Replacement Battalion 192, 0 Blood Type, Soldier 2330
    P
    Many

The meaning of the "Stammkompanie", "Stm." as abbreviated here, is a topic that seems to return and puzzle people on a regular basis. The way I have understood it this was a unit type that dealt with the reception, induction and forwarding of new recruits to the units where they got their actual training. So, in other words, "Stammkompanie" ("Stm. Kp.") would have been an administrative gateway for a new recruit before being sent along to his designated unit.

This is not related to the "Stabskompanie" (stab= staff) which would have been the actual in field administrative staff/HQ. This disc has nothing to do with the staff unit of Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 192

To sum it up; the way I see it this is the disc of a soldier that initially was given this disc as a recruit while going through the administrative preliminaries of the Stammkompanie of Grenadier Ersatz Bataillon 192. Who this unit supplied troops to again I am not sure... here's a link with possible info though: Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 192 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Great summary Slados. I agree there is some confusion about with Stm, as I've seen it on an Ersatz Art erkennungsmarke which was a bit cryptic.

This makes sense to me, however, I wonder why issue an administrative disc to recruit to be assigned to another unit. Should it not have a marking indicating the unit he ended up serving in, which based on this would be the company.

What do you think about this being a real erkennungsmarke.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Nice stamping and sample.
    Interesting abbreviations done two ways to say the same thing. This is I'm sure the cause for some the 'confusion' Slados was referring to...

Quote by slados28 View Post
    The meaning of the "Stammkompanie", "Stm." as abbreviated here, is a topic that seems to return and puzzle people on a regular basis. The way I have understood it this was a unit type that dealt with the reception, induction and forwarding of new recruits to the units where they got their actual training. So, in other words, "Stammkompanie" ("Stm. Kp.") would have been an administrative gateway for a new recruit before being sent along to his designated unit.
    "Stammkompanie" roughly translates as "cadre company".

The term is exclusively used in training-/replacement outfits, where it refers to the core unit that is made up of that outfit's permanent staff [its Stammpersonal], such as instructors, clerks etc.

Would the training element be in a fighting theatre, as apposed to more certainty to the replacement elements being front line.

This half of a tag comes from the soldier that was 446 men away from my father when he was in his training unit. I believe my father wore his tag until the end even though he was assigned to the 16th Panzer Div.
    A special relic of an Erkennungsmarken
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    "Stammkompanie" roughly translates as "cadre company".

The term is exclusively used in training-/replacement outfits, where it refers to the core unit that is made up of that outfit's permanent staff [its Stammpersonal], such as instructors, clerks etc.
    A most appropriate explanation. A cadre (pronounced in British military circles as CAR-DER) is defined as "a core group of trained personnel" also a "framework" and it has been a common practice throughout history for armies in wartime to form a new unit around a "cadre" of experienced officers and NCOs from other depleted or otherwise dissolved units. There is precedent in British regimental depots (aka training centres these days ) for the existence of similar sub-units styled "Holding Company or such like.

I would imagine the tag at the top of this thread was that of a "permanent staff" member rather than a trainee in transit.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

An interesting topic. However, like I've seen pointed out before --- does not the sheer amount of Stammkompanie tags available and the pretty high numbers on some indicate that the majority most likely actually were issued to recruits "in transit? Doesn't 2330 or higher in the 4 digits or even 5 indicate that a majority were just that? Ready to be proven wrong of course as I am no expert in the matter but still this is a point I've seen brought up by other knowledgeable people--- a quick search gave me Stammkompanie tags with numbers as high as 16216, there's tags with even higher numbers out there iirc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast