Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Dog Tag

Article about: Hi guys , can anyone help me out with this dog tag. I would realy like to be able to find out who this guy was , i was told this was dug up near Starlingrad but as we know that means nothing

Default Help with Dog Tag

Hi guys , can anyone help me out with this dog tag. I would realy like to be able to find out who this guy was , i was told this was dug up near Starlingrad but as we know that means nothing , i still would be greatfull to get any info at all , hope you can shed some light on the guy , cheers Raymond .

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Dog Tag
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help with Dog Tag

I'm having a hard time reading the name...what does it say?

Thanks

No problem mate 1./Schtz. Ers. Btl. 11s top right hand corner is the letter o blood group i think , and at the top is 143 , cheers Raymond

?

Hello Raymond, it looks fine to me. Not sure if this Battalion was deployed in Stalingrad, but here are some informations about the unit (in german)

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 11 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

regards

Matt

One other point to note is that German dog tags were marked with the unit that the soldier originally joined. So tags will turn up in places that the unit was never deployed to.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you Matt, i will copy this down had find someone to translate it for me . Thanks Ade , i was told this as well sometime ago , heres hopeing i can find out who this guy is cheers guys Raymond

240stevek
    ?

Hi Raymond,
    Intresting top half of a tag from Rifle Replacement Btl.11
    The WASt in Germany would be able to ID its owner and his fate but they stopped helping collectors years ago. You would have to prove you are related to his family for their help.
    I remember at the 95 Max show a dealer had a shoe box full of half ID tags all from former grave sites in the Volgagrad area.

Steve

Thanks Steve ,i mite contact them and give them a go , got nothing to lose , there must be some way of finding out , cheers Raymond