MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with dug with id disc. From Russia

Article about: I just purchase these items ( posted it in another area) anyhow now im on the mission to find this guy. I read the past forums and I can understand some of it, but is it possible to find out

Default Help with dug with id disc. From Russia

I just purchase these items ( posted it in another area) anyhow now im on the mission to find this guy. I read the past forums and I can understand some of it, but is it possible to find out who this soldier actually was and what company? I know it's a replacement unit from what I gathered! any help would be great, thank you! Help with dug with id disc. From RussiaHelp with dug with id disc. From Russia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with dug with id disc. From Russia
    P
    Many

Look what I found...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with dug with id disc. From Russia  

You are lucky...Google Panzerregiment35...there is an excellent website dedicated to this unit's history...
    cheers, Glenn

Great find, Glenn! Also, look here: Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 35 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Google translate will help with most language barriers you may encounter

And some general info on the designations Ersatz Abt. and Stamm Kompanie from forum member Stacerz:

Let’s start with some basics which are more or less known. Each infantry replacement battalion under original German replacement system (timeframe 1939 – Autumn 1942) was composed normally of reception company, four training companies and one or more convalescent and transfer companies. The primary purpose of this battalion was to receive recruits, train them, and dispatch them as replacements to the field regiments.

In October 1942 very signifant change to German replacement system had occured. All basic replacement training units were divided in two parts – one to handle induction and replacement and the second one to deal with the training.

The induction and replacement responsibilities were retained in replacement battalions, but since this moment it was concerned only with:

receipt of recruits from the conscription offices;
    issue of their personal equipment and their paybooks;
    short military indoctrination of recruits;
    forwarding of recruits as fast as possible to its sister training unit;
    receipt of convalescents and sending them back to a field unit.

The newly created training unit bore the same number as the replacement unit and was to receive the men from the replacement unit, give them the training and then dispatch them to an affiliated field unit.

Now, we can jump into Stamm-Kompanie. This coy was consisting of new recruits and cadre personnel and its main task was exactly reception of recruits, induction procedures and forwarding them to the training unit. It means this coy was designated mainly for administrative purposes and didn't provide training at all. I think that's the reason why so many recruits went through it and why plenty of ID tags with reception coy’ stampings are being found.
    Learned something new there myself!

you guys are great!! what a photo GLEN!

- - ------- - -

you guys are great!! what a photo GLEN!

Any way to look up if this guy got killed? Kinda looks like his medals here and everything besides the broken tag

Very hard without the unit's personnel roster and without a name...Strict German Privacy Laws tend to be an obstacle as well unless you are a relative...
    cheers, Glenn

ok, I wasn't sure with the number on the tag was a way to find out...thanks glen

I don't think there's any way of saying either - or... Nothing really indicates he was killed, could just as well have been thrown out. Maybe the location of the find would help somewhat...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast