Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

Article about: I thank everyone for there assistance with the determination of whether this is disk is real or a fake. To play the devil's advocate, I suggest that the stamping of the commanders name on th

?

Default Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is fromHelp identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identify if it is real and if so what unit it is from
    P
    Many

1st Kompanie of Jagdpanzer Abteilung V "Lüttichau" named after the Co. This unit did exist and took part in the fighting around Colmar and later during Operation Nordwind in early 1945. Not seen an EKM to the unit before so can't comment on its originality. Its in zinc as per those later produced Ekm. Where it came from and who is selling it might be the next question.

?

I own the disk. I bought it from a gentleman who was getting out of collecting. The disk is made of steel if that has any bearing on the authenticity. Thank you for very much for your reply and the information on the unit that the tag is from information

OK, so steel not zinc. It still might have a chance although I have nothing to compare it to. Lets see if anyone else has one!

?

The department was on August 27, 1939 in Kornwestheim, Wehrkreis V, set up. The department was subordinate to the commander of the Ersatztruppen V. On November 6, 1939, the department was moved to Prague in the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. From that day, the Division was subordinate to Division 155. On April 1, 1940, the department was renamed the Panzerjäger-Ersatz-Abteilung 5. In August 1940, the department was relocated to Karlsruhe in the Wehrkreis V back. On September 24, 1942, the division is divided into a Panzerjäger Replacement Division 5 and a Panzerjäger Formation Division 5. These two divisions are united on 10 April 1943 to the Panzerjäger replacement and training department 5. On August 3, 1943, the division was divided again, this time in each one Panzerjäger replacement division 5 and a reserve Panzerjäger Division 5. From that day the replacement department was subordinate to the commander of the Panzertruppen V. The replacement department remained in Karlsruhe, while the reserve department was relocated to France. The reserve division was subordinated to the 155th Reserve Panzer Division. In 1944, the Panzerjäger Replacement Division 5 was again expanded to the Panzerjäger Replacement and Training Division 5. The Reserve Panzerjäger Division 5 was dissolved on 1 May 1944. Her staff was used to set up the 9th Panzer Division.
    From translation of information about the unit gleaned from the
    Panzerabwehr-Ersatz-Abteilungen - Lexikon der Wehrmacht site

Not the correct unit, what you found is the Replacement Anti tank Abteilung based in Wehrkreis V, not the Jagdpanzer Abteilung Von "Lüttichau" which was a Tank Hunter unit, probably using Hetzers.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Not the correct unit, what you found is the Replacement Anti tank Abteilung based in Wehrkreis V, not the Jagdpanzer Abteilung Von "Lüttichau" which was a Tank Hunter unit, probably using Hetzers.
    Great. Again thank you for your reply and the information you have provided.

?

Well, a very suspicious looking emarke if you ask me. I would like to see an original of these if there even are originals around.
    To me the a and g in Jagd look just like the Rokas fake font, the same goes for the t, 1 and 4.

Check the fake font sticky thread to see what I mean.

Regards, Rik

?

Please click the link and see post #5:
    Erkennungsmarken Made After WW2- Fakes

The exact same font as on the OP's erkennungsmarke.

Regards, Rik

TWS
    ?

An EKM from a unit that was established really late in the war with a "sexy name" should be carefully scrutinized. The German Heer saved time by not stamping new EKM's every time a soldier changed units. They saw what EKM the soldier arrived with and noted that in the paperwork.

I have several EKM's to soldier groupings in my collection that the soldier wore through the war and they are stamped to his training unit or a unit he was in prior to the unit he ended the war in.

Given that knowledge of the habits of the Heer, one should be skeptical of an EKM to a unit created late in the war - especially because at that point they had a lot more pressing matters than stamping EKM's. Adding to one's suspicion, as I mentioned, is the use of a unit named after it's commander which was more of an ad-hoc thing.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast