Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying a German ID disc.

Article about: I recently acquired a WW2 Erkennungsmarken-ID disc. Reading though past threads on this subject, I think I may have figured out most of the disc, but I am unsure on some Letters/numbers. I a

?

Default Help identifying a German ID disc.

I recently acquired a WW2 Erkennungsmarken-ID disc. Reading though past threads on this subject, I think I may have figured out most of the disc, but I am unsure on some Letters/numbers.
    I also referred to JPHILIP's link to "Lexicon Der Wehrmacht" database that was very helpful.
    I believe the abreviations are:
    Nachr (Nachrichten), Ers (Ersatz), Abt(Abteilung) I asume: Signal Reserve Bataillon.
    Does the #1 at both the beginning and the end mean 1st Company? 1st Division?
    I also do not know what the "A" in the upper right hand corner stands for? Blood type?
    And I also assume that "8540" is the soldiers' ID number?
    A Little help would be greatly appreciated.

Help identifying a German ID disc.Help identifying a German ID disc.Help identifying a German ID disc.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help identifying a German ID disc.
    P
    Many

1./ Nachrichten Ersatz Abteilung 1 would be Signals Replacement Detachment 1
    The "A" is the Blood Type (Blutgruppe A)
    8450 is his number on the unit's personnel roster...
    cheers, Glenn

MAP
    ?

Kudos Obal! Usually people just post asking for the info (sometimes me).

You did your homework!!!

And Glenn..helpful as ever.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Glenn.. thanks for the quick reply... very clear now.
    Michael.. thanks also.. I'm learning.. trying... Ha.. a lot of "stuff". I read many posts about counterfeit/fake German ID disks.. in your opinion.. does this one look legit?

?

Looks legit to me, according to the lexikon-der-Wehrmacht:

Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 1
    Nachrichten-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 1

Die Abteilung wurde am 8. August 1939 in Königsberg, Wehrkreis I, aufgestellt. Sie wurde mit einer Hunde-Ersatz-Staffel aufgestellt und unterstand der Division 151. Ab dem 11. Dezember 1939 unterstand die Abteilung der Division 141. Am 1. Oktober 1940 verlegte die Abteilung nach Kuttenberg in das Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren. Am 2. August 1941 wurde sie wieder nach Königsberg in den Wehrkreis I zurück verlegt. Ab dem 29. Mai 1942 unterstand die Abteilung dem Kommandeur der Nachrichtentruppe I. Am 15. September 1942 wurde die Abteilung unter Einverleibung der Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 11 in die Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 1 und die Nachrichten-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 1 geteilt. Beide Einheiten blieben in Königsberg und unterstanden dem Kommandeur der Nachrichtentruppe I. Im Februar 1945 wurde die Ersatz-Abteilung in Königsberg aufgelöst. Die Aufgaben der Ersatzgestellung gingen auf die Nachrichten-Ersatz-Abteilung 20 in Hamburg, Wehrkreis X, über.

Die Ersatz-Abteilung stellte unter anderem für für folgende Einheiten den Ersatz:

Nachrichten-Abteilungen:

Nachrichten-Aufklärungs-Abteilungen:

Nachrichten-Regimenter:

Feld-Nachrichten-Kommandanturen:

Festungs-Nachrichten-Stäbe:

MAP
    ?

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    Glenn.. thanks for the quick reply... very clear now.
    Michael.. thanks also.. I'm learning.. trying... Ha.. a lot of "stuff". I read many posts about counterfeit/fake German ID disks.. in your opinion.. does this one look legit?
    not my area of expertise so I'm of no use.I would be the one asking for help lol. But it is refreshing seeing someone using the resources on this forum.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks MAP.. I did the translation. Sounds like they were attached to the Signal Corp out of Konigsberg. And eventually became part of the military field news in Hamburg. I love researching this stuff... and finding out where it leads me. Other lives in history.. Thanks again.