Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!

Article about: Hi Yesterday I was metal detecting in a place where it had been a german military camp during WW2, and i found this dog tag. It says: "O.Gefr. Vonderschmitt F.P.M 39725"(may be mis

Question Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!

Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!

Hi

Yesterday I was metal detecting in a place where it had been a german military camp during WW2, and i found this dog tag. It says: "O.Gefr. Vonderschmitt F.P.M 39725"(may be missing some numbers at the end) It looks old, and the name looks German, But i have never found any dog tag like this before! Can someone please tell me what kind of dog tag this is, and what "F.P.M 39725" means? Thanks, Tim.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!
    P
    Many

?

My first thought is a name tag for personal belongings.

Edit: Some of the camps cleanup crews in 45 threw the military items in the camps garbage pit. Sometimes you can find items in such places in very good condition.

"O.Gefr." is an abbreviation for the rank Obergefreiter. "F.P.Nr." (not "F.P.M.") is for Feldpostnummer, i.e. the field post code assigned to a military unit or duty station.

It's definitely not a dog tag. As TrondK said, it's probably a tag for personal belongings/baggage.

I think you have misread the number it is:

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Feldgendarmerie-Trupp Feldherrnhalle,

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 22.9.1944 gestrichen,

(25.11.1944-8.5.1945) 6.12.1944 Feldgendarmerie-Trupp Feldherrnhalle.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I have seen tags like that before. I was told they were coffin plates. I never quite believed it. Here are 2 more, I think they are to label something like a tool chest.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!   Help In Identifying Strange German Dog Tag!  

?

I did not notice that the first tag above came from Norway in my first reply to this thread. These two tags also came from an area in the north maybe it was an artic circle thing.

Yes, personal belongings tag rather than a personal ID tag, for a guy in the unit below:

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think you have misread the number it is:

(12.3.1943-7.9.1943) Feldgendarmerie-Trupp Feldherrnhalle,

(23.4.1944-24.11.1944) 22.9.1944 gestrichen,

(25.11.1944-8.5.1945) 6.12.1944 Feldgendarmerie-Trupp Feldherrnhalle.