Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help in identifying WWII German dog tags

Article about: I have an ID-Tag that is found myself right next to the airport used by Germany in WW2. Baneasa / Romania ... near Bucharest. It was already identified ... but I thought you to view the Tag

Default Re: Help in identifying WWII German dog tags

Thats what I thought, for the price of $250 LOL.

Now how would you decipher this tag? 2 SS? 222?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help in identifying WWII German dog tags
    P
    Many

?

It's typical- it takes real expertise to recognize good from bad when it comes to Erkennungsmarken, and most sellers have nowhere near enough; there are SO many fake SS discs- like 99:1 bad:good- that it's too easy to pick up a piece of junk without knowing it if you're not careful. They look old and real enough afterall...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Yeap....So why the "2 SS"? whats that for if its the 500th SS FALL JAG? Also I take it the "222" is the soldier in the units NUMBER?

?

An Arabic numeral at the start usually refers to a Kompanie or Batterie- the smallest major unit type; then the main unit- usually a Regiment or Abteilung for a field unit or a Bataillon or Abteilung for an Ersatz unit, sometimes a Regiment there too though. So this is supposed to be 2. Kompanie, SS-Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 500. Yes 222 is supposed to be the man's Stammrollennummer.

Quote by Matt L View Post
    An Arabic numeral at the start usually refers to a Kompanie or Batterie- the smallest major unit type; then the main unit- usually a Regiment or Abteilung for a field unit or a Bataillon or Abteilung for an Ersatz unit, sometimes a Regiment there too though. So this is supposed to be 2. Kompanie, SS-Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 500. Yes 222 is supposed to be the man's Stammrollennummer.
    Ahhh thanks, I wasn't to sure and I was thinking; " How can the 500th SS para Bn, be apart of the 2nd SS Div"....

Thanks for making it very clear, now I will know atleast the basics next time I come across one.

Teddy

?

Please ... I wish some information about this Dog Tag, a Fake version is excluded ... but apparently it's something special with this tag?
    I posted 2 photos with the tag, one is in the initial state and the 2nd picture is her bag and Tag cleaned.

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in identifying WWII German dog tags   Help in identifying WWII German dog tags  

?

Hi Peewee,

Unfortunately, I don't see anything particularly special except for the writing on the Brustbeutel- perhaps the man's name and ? It appears to be Sütterlin script so you'd have to find someone who can read it, or look it up and try to translate it. I can't find any real information about the unit- other than it's listed as once having been stationed in Bordeaux, France.

?

I have some information on this unit ... is about a Flak unit that has operated in West more specifically in the French region , other information received indicates that the flak-unit has ordered some of the missile launch pad V1/2. Anyway is a Flak unit ... i think !

for me ... particularly and interesting is that ID-Tag that you can not identify easy ... or find too little information about it ... here comes the challenge to find necessary information!

?

Actually, no; 'Fl. Rgt.' is 'Flieger-Regiment', not 'Flak-Regiment'- 'Flak' is always written out fully since it's an abbreviation already. That's perhaps why someone suggested it was special, but it's incorrect. If it were a Flak-Regiment, it wouldn't be '14. Kompanie', it would be '14. Batterie' too.

?

I understand ... now looking for clear information about the ID-Tag ... when I have more opinions will conclude ... Your opinion seems correct anyway! Thank you!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast