Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ident disc details

Article about: Hi guys, I know that this isnt an actual tag, i can only imagine the real one was taken when he was captured or lost. Im trying to trace my grandfathers unit and if there are any records rem

benfabz
    ?

Default Ident disc details

Hi guys,

I know that this isnt an actual tag, i can only imagine the real one was taken when he was captured or lost.
    Im trying to trace my grandfathers unit and if there are any records remaining, those also.

Below are the details from the ident disc, but i cant seem to make any sense of it. I was hoping that someone here would be so kind as to assist me in my quest :-)

Thanks in advance

Ident disc details

2. # ADS

Stamm Kompanie Pionier Ersatz Bataillon 28 --- a link for more info Pionier-Ersatz-Bataillon 28

A helpful quote from another thread, courtesy of member Stacez, on the meaning and purpose of the Stamm-Kompanie:

A Stamm-Kompanie consisted of new recruits and cadre personnel and its main task was reception of recruits, induction procedures and forwarding them to the training unit. It means this unit was designated mainly for administrative purposes and didn't provide training at all. I think that's the reason why so many recruits went through it and why plenty of ID tags with reception coy’ stampings are being found.

benfabz
    ?

That was quick! And thank you for the reply!

The short history behind him is he was in poland, annexed by germany in 42 and he signed the volksliste, whereby he was conscripted, his capture date was october 44 in casola, italy on from what i can find a 'defensive action'

Reading from that link, it looks like the unit was basically a training or replacement unit for pioneers and engineers. In aug 44 they were reclassified to panzer replacement.

It is still difficult to discern what they actually did day to day. but its a great find.

?

Here is a brief explanation of the replacement system:

The German Army Infantry Replacement System / der Erste Zug