Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)

Article about: Hi, Just thought I would show a Luftwaffe EKM that was found by a friend who was fossicking around the site of the old Murchison (Victoria) POW Camp (Camp 13) in 2009 and discovered this ID

Default II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)

Hi,

Just thought I would show a Luftwaffe EKM that was found by a friend who was fossicking around the site of the old Murchison
    (Victoria) POW Camp (Camp 13) in 2009 and discovered this ID Disc that he found using a metal detector around the old site
    of the camp. My friend was kind enough to pass this relic on to me.

According to the MOB Nummer, '69058' this would have belonged to a member of 2./StG 77 (Stukas) and the original bearer of
    the disc was probably taken as a prisoner during the period of the Battle of Britain, as those POW's that were sent out here to
    Australia were mainly from the early war period, or from north Africa, apart from those KM members from the sinking of the HSK
    Kormoran later on. (and I think some KM survivors from a U-Boat later in the war too). His personal number on the disc is '30'.

Anyway, this would more than likely be a Battle of Britain survivor, as StG 77 didn't serve in north Africa, and he would have been
    an NCO, as the officer POW's were sent to the Dhuringile POW camp also close to Murchison.

I have tried to garner more information regarding the original owner via the WaSt., in Germany, but sadly they don't give out personal
    details to anyone other than immediate family, but they did pass on that this airman was born in 1918, and was still alive in 1970 when
    he applied for a pension in Germany.

Anyway, here are some photos of the EKM, as well as some information on 2./StG 77, an interesting relic found far away from the
    European battle fields ...

-Bob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)   II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)  

II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)   II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)  

II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)   II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)  

II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement II./Stuka Geschwader 77 EKM from Murchison POW Camp (Camp 13)
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very nice Bob. The background really makes it all that much more special!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

During the interrogation of PW by the RAF after capture details of their aircraft, mission and Ekm details were logged. These are recorded at the National Archives and so it would be possible to name the owner, although it means reading the records of every Stuka PW captured during 1940-41!
    Nice find far from home.

Nice to see this one again in the latest issue of After the Battle, Bob!

A real treasure...

?

BOB-

That is a super tag and great detail on the unit. The location of the find is like icing on the cake, congrats!

?

yes.. very nice erkennungsmarke!

and 2009 thread: My DAK tags:-)
    same ekm.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Nice to see this one again in the latest issue of After the Battle, Bob!
    Karel Magry e-mailed me and said that it would be mentioned in one of the up-coming magazines mate.... the current issue
    is still a couple of months from arriving in Australia due to the delay from the UK to Oz... hopefully it generates some interest
    and someone may be able to add a name to it....

Bob

Quote by Montag View Post
    yes.. very nice erkennungsmarke!

and 2009 thread: My DAK tags:-)
    same ekm.
    Yes I picked it up from Tom in some trades a while back....

Bob