Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jnf Ers Btl 173, the real deal?

Article about: I've spotted this ground dug Erkennungsmarken up for auction and although it's only a replacement battalion I like the leather neck string. I think it's an original. Current price is around

Default Jnf Ers Btl 173, the real deal?

I've spotted this ground dug Erkennungsmarken up for auction and although it's only a replacement battalion I like the leather neck string.

I think it's an original.

Current price is around $50, is it the real deal?

Jnf Ers Btl 173, the real deal?

The lettering has been highlighted with chalk for clarity.

Cheers
    Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Jnf Ers Btl 173, the real deal?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Jnf Ers Btl 173, the real deal?

It is the 1st infantry replacement division(?), 173 battalion. Ask him if he found the soldier as well, since he dug up the dog tag with the string.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Can You tell me from what country is seller and where it is selling, for me it looks good, maybe it was found somewhere in Kurland on possitions of Infanterie Division 87.

Regards,
    Andris

Quote by colletorww2 View Post
    It is the 1st infantry replacement division(?), 173 battalion. Ask him if he found the soldier as well, since he dug up the dog tag with the string.

If it is from Kurland, than it could be without soldier, ID tag looks like found on surface, under moos in sandy ground, capitulation places in Kurland are moustly in sandy ground, frontlines
    are in clay. If I will know the seller name, than I can say about soldier if it is from Kurland.

I found it on eBay, seller is from Russia, Stalingrad, You can think about this ID tag anything, it could be from soldier, but also it could be found in POW camp, but it is original.

?

Sure it's real and it's 1. Kompanie, Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 173, which is listed as nominally supplying troops to Infanterie-Regimenter 173 and 276; 173 was part of the 87. Infanterie-Division so that one's out, but 276 was in the 94. Infanterie-Division, which was part of the 6. Armee lost at Stalingrad. So it's reasonable to expect this was this soldier's unit. The leather cord may not be original- it's quite atypical as fiber cords were the norm; that being said, replacement wasn't uncommon. But given the condition of the disc, it's a bit surprising leather would have survived. $50 is a bit high, but Stalingrad diggers charge a premium because of the site despite there being a huge number of discs available. I first saw them probably 10 years ago, and with many hundreds of thousands there, it's not likely the spring will dry up anytime soon.

Defintiely do query the digger about his methods- there are legitimate groups who search sites and do report remains to the Russian and German authorities and not destroy identities by stealing tags, etc., but doubtless there are those too who don't care and just pick up whatever they find regardless of the consequences. If his response is indignant, angry or anything other than completely understanding and he's forthcoming about the way he works, I'd pass as those who are careful understand the need to be questioned and only someone with something to hide would be annoyed or bothered by them.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Well the disc is up over $60 now which is too rich for my blood given it's only an ersatz bataillon.

With 6 hours to go I bet this sucker hits $75! For that money i'd be wanting something a little more exotic.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Can you believe the disc sold for $129!!!

?

Well people get way into auctions- the object sometimes doesn't matter LOL In this case because the field unit can pretty likely be traced, the fact that its marking is to an Ersatz unit is immaterial to its 'value'- it is one of those rare cases where a start-to-finish history can be discerned. Of course that being said, $129 is extreme- I can only think the bidders who drove it up are unaware there are so many 'Stalingrad' discs and there will likely always be a supply, so it's hardly unique or really even special; I have 6 or 7, my Dad has 8 I think and every other Erkennungsmarke collector I know has a number of them...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I don't mean to butt in or hijack this thread or anything but I've also got a "Stalingrad" tag "similar to this one" (which was why I felt compelled to check this topic out in the first place). It was dug up near the Volga and it's marked 4/Jnf.Ers.Btl.171, could anyone give me some more info on this specific unit and, if possible, how it ended up in Stalingrad?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast