Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kl Dachau Dog Tag

Article about: hi guys look at this dog tag and please tell me if it is real or fake

Default Kl Dachau Dog Tag

hi guys look at this dog tag and please tell me if it is real or fake
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kl Dachau Dog Tag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kl Dachau Dog Tag
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Kl Dachau Dog Tag

Unfortunately with ones like this that are likely to be faked, the most that can usually be said- unless one has seen a 100% provably authentic example- is that it's not obviously bad. I don't see anything that looks wrong, but that could simply mean the fakers haven't made any easy mistakes LOL The font isn't a bad one I'm familiar with, the corrosion looks real enough and it doesn't appear to be an old, blank disc that was re-stamped. As well the title, number and blood group are all different stamp sets, which is a good sign. But again without proof it's real- it's impossible to be sure.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I have never seen a ID-Tag from a german K. L. before. My knowledge is they didn't have any. Prisoners had only a number on their coat and a ID-Tag (only with a number) for their "laundry bag". The number on the "laundry bag" was also the prisoners number on the coat.

?

Quote by Tiger IV View Post
    I have never seen a ID-Tag from a german K. L. before. My knowledge is they didn't have any. Prisoners had only a number on their coat and a ID-Tag (only with a number) for their "laundry bag". The number on the "laundry bag" was also the prisoners number on the coat.
    If you mean personell not prisoners - they DID have their own ID tags, I have seen more of them, from Auschwitz, or Neuengamme...

Jan

?

I was thinking the same, this is for the guards or staff, not prisoner. I've never seen one like this before. It looks to have some age to it, although I have seen some pretty convincing fakes. I hope it turns out to be the real deal, for your sake. It would be a very interesting and sobering piece of history in your collection. I wonder if these kind of artifacts have a certain, "mojo", or metaphysical connection to it. I have some battle damaged helmets with blood and bullet holes in them but I never feel any other worldly presence...good thing! That would creep me out.

Quote by Jan S View Post
    If you mean personell not prisoners - they DID have their own ID tags, I have seen more of them, from Auschwitz, or Neuengamme...

Jan

Hi Jan!

I'm talking about the prisoners. They didn't have any ID-Tags. There's a K. L. near my hometown (Flossenbürg). They have a big exhibition and explain that prisoners have only the "...numbers on the coat and laundry bag". The exeption are POW's arrested in a K. L. They had their POW ID-Tag (STALAG, OFLAG and so on). I owne some of these ID-Tags. I'm very sure and you are right when we talking about the stuff (personnel and guards). They had ID-Tags like every other german soldier too.

Greetings

Tiger IV

JMM
    ?

Very interesting item (hope it turns out to be original)
    Had never seen one before

?

The only POW tags I've seen were for stalag lufts , and they were rectangular in shape. I can't wait to see where this thread goes, I will learn something new.

?

There's never been a suggestion that the oval discs were for anyone but camp personnel- not sure why it would ever have been thought prisoners might issued with them. Only military prisoners, and so far as I know, that didn't include Soviet POWs, were issued with identity tags, and those were indeed the rectangular kind that were purposely different so as not to appear at all like the Germans' kind.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Only military prisoners, and so far as I know, that didn't include Soviet POWs, were issued with identity tags, and those were indeed the rectangular kind that were purposely different so as not to appear at all like the Germans' kind.
    Hi Matt!

In the exhibition at K. L. Flossenbürg you can see many ID-Tag's from Soviet POW's arrested there. The ID-Tag's are the rectangular kind and the prisoners are listed with this numbers (ID-Tags) in the inmatelists. But they had also (military) prisoners with oval ID-Tags. For example STALAG 5A. I will take some photos today or tomorrow (from my personal finds) and show you the different shapes. The Soviet prisoners at K. L. Flossenbürg came from OFLAG XIIID to work at the german quarrels. They had many Soviet prisoners from OFLAG XIIID.

Greetings

Tiger IV
    Last edited by Tiger IV; 07-23-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast