Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Landschutz

Article about: Hi guy. Your help is really appreciate on this one. Just came across this one. I need to know if we can determine originality and whether it is "Ers." or "Ausb." If Ausb.

Default Landschutz

Hi guy. Your help is really appreciate on this one. Just came across this one. I need to know if we can determine originality and whether it is "Ers." or "Ausb."
    If Ausb. then this would be the exact unit my grandfather was with in late 44.
    The second image I bumped the contrast to better read the font.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Detlef

LandschutzLandschutz

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Landschutz
    P
    Many

Unless my eyes deceive me it is for Landesschützen Ersatz Bataillon 13 which was formed on 23rd February 1940 in Sulzbach, part of Wehrkreis XIII. On 1st Oktober 1942 the unit was divided into Landesschützen-Ersatz-Bataillon 13 and Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 13. The new Ersatz Bataillon being located in Eger, and the Ausbildungs Bataillon in Hof, both units falling within Wehrkreis XIII. On the 15th July 1943 the LS Btl was then directed under Wehrkreis XIII. In June 1944 the unit was renamed Landesschützen Ersatz Bataillon I./13.

So your ekm dates from June 1944, and is not from the Ausbildungs unit but the Landschütz Ersatz Btl I/13.

Thanks Blackcat. Its very confusing. Years ago I sent away for my grandfathers Stammbuch.
    I received copies of his service records. It also makes mention of Landesschtutzen-Ersatz-Bataillion II/13. dating from 2.9.44 in Wurzburg. I know from Lexicon Wehrmacht that they were all interconnected. I also know that he was wounded in Denmark very close to the end of the war. What I am trying to figure out is which unit would have been deployed to Denmark. I believe from the records "Ausbildung-Bataillion II/13 was sent to France and then refitted in Wurzburg.
    Very confusing for me. Maybe I can make some scans of the copies and post them.
    Meanwhile your help as always is very much appreciated.
    Detlef

Hi Detlef,
    You might have something more in his records that you have missed, or sadly it just might not be accurate. Certainly the Lexikon gives no more data than already mentioned.

Thanks again. It seems that the records I have stop in 12.11.44 where he served with - 3.Kp.Ld.-Schutz. Ausb.-Batl.I/13
    I cannot find out where they had been deployed. I know for sure he was wounded in Denmark. There was a Landesschutzen-Bataillon Danemark appears to have taken 1st and 2nd company of Landesschutzen-Ersatz-Bataillon 13. This may or may not have been the case with my grandfather, that he got transferred again. Sadly I will never know the circumstances, he died before I had a chance to sit down and talk to him about.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Detlef

According to the Lexikon Landschutz Btl Danemark drew their replacements from LS Btl 13 so I suggest it is highly probable that it was as a replacement that your Grandfather found his way to Denmark.

I was thinking along the same lines. It would be a sensible conclusion, the only one really that makes any sense.