Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Matt...yet another tag

Article about: here's another... My concerns here would be with the massive soldier number, and that the "battalion" does not seem to be written correctly. Is it not punched our Bttl...? I'm real

Default Re: Matt...yet another tag

here's another...
    My concerns here would be with the massive soldier number, and that the "battalion" does not seem to be written correctly. Is it not punched our Bttl...? I'm really not sure what that last letter is.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	97185  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

I see nothing wrong with that one either...

Notice how there's a little bit of the '6' in the Stammrollennummer missing, and it and the other numbers there are smaller than the Kompanie and Bataillon numbers suggesting they were done at a different time and with a different stamp set than the main unit text; also note the blood group letter is of a different, thinner, form than the unit text letters, which is normal since that was definitely done at a different time than the primary markings and by a different person (less concerned with keeping things nice and such). It's when everything's the same that you have to wonder- fakers usually have one stamp set and mark everything in one go so there's no variation, which, clearly, there is much of the time if not all the time on real discs.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Man..you're quick
    i wsant even done typing the edit version yet before you answered lol

?

LOL Well there's no indication when one is editing- we only see what was posted, and I'm just here having my first cup of coffee playing around the forum before I get on with working

But to answer your question, the German spelling is 'Bataillon' so there is no double 't' in the first place, and 'Batl.' is the most common abbreviation, so what you have there is just an odd-style lower case 'l'. It looks familiar to me- I thought I had one from this unit too actually- but I can't find a picture; regardless though, it's not a problem. It is good, however, that you keyed in on this little strange detail and thought to evaluate it- that's how one has to operate when looking at Erkennungsmarken. Knowing what's really an issue and what's not just comes in time.

Oh and no, the really high number isn't a problem here- the unit existed for 5 years (late 1939 to late 1944) so believing 5500 men passed through this Kompanie isn't difficult. I've got a Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon disc with 10151 as its Stammrollennummer and I had a medic unit disc with a number that was nearly 23000.

You know...now that you have armed me with a few more ideas against fakes...I think I would like another shot at a Fake Challenge. Is one coming up soon?

?

I was just thinking of starting a new one actually...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12