Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

My DAK tags:-)

Article about: Hello, Well i like this thread so much i am going to add a few of my collection for your viewing pleasure and on going interest.I have 2 more confirmed DAK tag's and will show them both here

Default My DAK tags:-)

Hello,
    Well i like this thread so much i am going to add a few of my collection for your viewing pleasure and on going interest.I have 2 more confirmed DAK tag's and will show them both here along with the first one i listed as an unknown tag. It now being ID's as a Lufwaffe MOB type and thanks to fellow members we now know its from 2./ Stukageschwader 77. They were of former 'Battle of Britain' fame and must have been posted to Africa after that to perform dive bombing raids on Tobruk etc
    The other tags are firstly to the famous DAK Machine Gun Battalion 8 who got wiped out almost to a man near Tobruk during an attack on British and Australian positons.Sorry for the poor photo but its in relic shape and hard to capture.It is marked ERS.KOMP.M.G.8 and soldier number is 418 with blood group A (could this be researched?).Their commanding officer and Knights Cross holder Gustav Ponath was killed in action during that battle.The remainder of his men came here to Australia where they spent 5 1/2 year's in a POW camp.
    The other tag is from an unknown Infantry division also from Afrika and also who ended up here in oz in the same POW camp.It's an interesting tag because it is marked 3./ SCHUTZ.ERS.KOMP.115 with soldier number 387 and blood group A once again. Not sure if that would translate to Rifle Company in this case.Anybody have any ideas on that one can please add their comments as i am very curious indeed and it would be much appreciated.It has his name 'Adolf Luck' scratched into the back and may have been added when he was a POW.It appears his name af good fortune did not work in his case
    Thankyou and enjoy

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My DAK tags:-)   My DAK tags:-)  

My DAK tags:-)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My DAK tags:-)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: My DAK tags:-)

Tom,

Shutzen Regt 115 was part of 15 Panzer Div
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,
    Sorry for the late reply.As usual you are a wealth of information my friend.Very interesting indeed

Tom

?

My pleasure
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

The 'Kompanie' discs are a bid dodgy to identify since they're subunits and thus cannot be looked-up directly; my research has suggested a Schützen-Ersatz-Kompanie was actually part of an Infanterie unit- so 'Schützen' meaning 'rifleman' to distinguish it from the 'MG' Kompanien, as opposed to being the official designation for armored-infantrymen; this also makes sense since it'd be unnecessary to describe a Kompanie in a Schützen-Regiment as 'Schützen', yes? That'd be automatic. I have 6 such discs in my collection and the only consistent main unit types for all the numbers are the Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon and the Infanterie-Regiment. For several there is no Schützen-type unit, so that cannot be it. Two of these six are actually marked 'gem. Schütz. Kp.' as well, which further suggests it means 'rifleman'- in this case 'mixed riflemen'. So your disc, Tom, it would seem is actually from either Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 115 or Infanterie-Regiment 115. What this shows is that sometimes maddening fact that soldiers did move around rather a lot sometimes, and that the markings on the identity disc cannot always be followed in a straight line to any field unit...

Your LW disc is good proof of that too actually since there's no clear relationship between StG77 and StG 1, 2, or 3, which did serve in Africa; this man must have been transferred or loaned or something...

Very interesting information Matt.
    Sorry about the photo of the MG 8 tag and i can provide a better one.They were all ground dug from a former POW camp where DAK and Italian soldiers were kept until 1947.Once they were sent home all the items including left over uniforms (some had dog tags still in the pocket)were simply burnt with the remains of the camp buildings etc.
    Cheers mate

Tom

?

Well if you know that only DAK prisoners were ever at this particular camp, that's pretty useful and at least the MG one (the picture is really fine) is clearly identifiable as a DAK unit. I ran into the same situation with a number of discs I got from the Volgograd (Stalingrad) area- the markings of the majority weren't directly traceable to units that fought there, but a few did.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

StG. 77 didn't serve in Africa, the original owner of that tag was probably taken POW during the Battle of Britain, and sent out to Australia to sit out the war
    in the camps here instead of Canada....

Bob