Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

New Arrivals

Article about: The one is in bad shape, doubt any ID can be made. The other I was told is a Transport disc. Any info would be appreciated, as always.

Default New Arrivals

The one is in bad shape, doubt any ID can be made. The other I was told is a Transport disc. Any info would be appreciated, as always.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Arrivals   New Arrivals  

New Arrivals   New Arrivals  

New Arrivals  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Arrivals
    P
    Many

Default Re: New Arrivals

Getting a good collection of disc built up Jay. Sorry I can be of no help on the info for ya.

Eric

?

Good Pwny
    first ID - 3 Jäger Regiment ..6
    second ID - Transport-Abteilung-zur besonderen Verwendung 979

?

Quote by axtdn View Post
    Good Pwny
    first ID - 3 Jäger Regiment ..6
    second ID - Transport-Abteilung-zur besonderen Verwendung 979
    Hello,

You're almost right but please find some small corrections.

First belonged to:
    3. J. R. ...6 = 3. (Kompanie) Infanterie-Regiment ...6 - 3rd Coy/ ...6th Infantry Regiment

Second:
    3 KW. TRANSP. ABT. ZBV. 979 = 3 (Kompanie) Kraftwagen-Transport-Abteilung zur besonderen Verwendung 979 - 3rd Coy/ 979th Vehicle Transportation Detachment for Special Purpose
    Kraftwagen

Quote by Stacez View Post
    Hello,

You're almost right but please find some small corrections.

First belonged to:
    3. J. R. ...6 = 3. (Kompanie) Infanterie-Regiment ...6 - 3rd Coy/ ...6th Infantry Regiment

Second:
    3 KW. TRANSP. ABT. ZBV. 979 = 3 (Kompanie) Kraftwagen-Transport-Abteilung zur besonderen Verwendung 979 - 3rd Coy/ 979th Vehicle Transportation Detachment for Special Purpose
    Kraftwagen
    AMAZING! Thank you!
    I've gotta start researching these soon. As Eric stated, my collection is growing and I'd like to know as much as I can about them.

?

Quote by Stacez View Post
    Correct- because an old form of the capital letter 'I' looked very much like a 'J', the Germans very often used a capital 'J' stamp as an 'I' on Erkennungmsarken; so in nearly any case where you find one, read it as an 'I'. When it is truly a 'J', it's not generally used as a single letter abbreviation or it'd be confusing, so for words like 'Jäger', they usually use a longer abbreviation like 'Jäg.'; In cases where it's more obvious what letter it really is such as in the term 'Panzer-Jäger', you can find 'Pz. J.', for example- because there wasn't a formal unit title 'Panzer-Infanterie', there could be no obvious confusion.

In cases where there are two reasonable possibilities, the unit number usually becomes the clarifying element- in the case of your disc Pwny it wouldn't be because although there were I think fewer than 10 'Jäger-Regimenter', one was numbered '56' so unless you could discern what the first number was, it'd be left unclear. Except that 'J. R.' is defintiely 'Infanterie-Regiment' and never have I seen it also used as 'Jäger-Regiment'.

A few things I can tell you about that Infanterie disc right off the bat are that it was issued prior to the war, or right at the beginning, because it is the field unit and has a low serial number, and the presence of a blood group letter means the man was serving for at least two years because they are not thought to have been put on discs until mid-1941.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...