Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

New Disc

Article about: Just got this one. Opinions welcome as always!

Default New Disc

Just got this one. Opinions welcome as always!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Disc   New Disc  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Disc
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: New Disc

Very nice. Despite the unit type, rather a lot of these potential fliers never did fly- many became Fallschirmjäger in fact; it's not at all uncommon to see FJs with Flieger unit discs. The 'A' as part of the Kompanie designation is quite uncommon- I've not see it before, actually; there's no indication of what it might be in the unit data (very minimal)- it'd be odd to be 'Ausbildungs' since that's what the unit itself is, although I suppose it's not impossible. It seems unlikely to be 'Abteilung' unless there was a rare form I don't know about. Strange...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Very nice. Despite the unit type, rather a lot of these potential fliers never did fly- many became Fallschirmjäger in fact; it's not at all uncommon to see FJs with Flieger unit discs. The 'A' as part of the Kompanie designation is quite uncommon- I've not see it before, actually; there's no indication of what it might be in the unit data (very minimal)- it'd be odd to be 'Ausbildungs' since that's what the unit itself is, although I suppose it's not impossible. It seems unlikely to be 'Abteilung' unless there was a rare form I don't know about. Strange...
    Thanks, Matt. Are you saying this disc could have belonged to a flyer that became a paratrooper? I'm kind of confused, but what else is new

?

I mean that it seems many guys didn't become flyers but ended up doing other jobs- including becoming Fallschirmjäger. It's a basic training unit, which in the German military meant marching, shooting, etc., whether one was wanting to fly or become a seaman or whatever. Basic training for everyone was what we might think of as infantry training. These would simply have been potential airmen, but as you'd expect, many wouldn't make the grade later on.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...