Become our sponsor and display your banner here

New to Erkennungsmarkens

Article about: I just picked this up last night at a buddies house. I am new to these. He said that they are for replacements that could basically go into any field. If you have any insight on these let me

Default New to Erkennungsmarkens

I just picked this up last night at a buddies house. I am new to these. He said that they are for replacements that could basically go into any field. If you have any insight on these let me know.

Ray

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0026.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	439337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0025.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	233.1 KB 
ID:	439329

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: New to Erkennungsmarkens

Hi Ray,

Well Wehrkreis-Ersatz-Depot is Defense-zone Replacement Depot, which is pretty non-specific; the only thing it tells us is that it's from Wehrkreis VI, the headquarters of which were in Münster, and the major cities of which Münster, Dortmund, Düsseldorf and Köln. It's not a 'unit' per se, it's just a major area gathering point for administration purposes; there were many real military Ersatz units in WKVI, so this men assembled here could have gone to any of them. I recall having seen at least one Soldbuch where one of these Depots was listed as the Erkennungsmarke, and the man was only at the Depot for a day or two before he was sent to a proper replcement unit (Infanterie-Ersatz or whatever). Once the war was well and truly underway and there were so many replacement units in a densely-populated Wehrkreis like VI, this kind of thing makes perfect sense.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

The idea of creating Wehrkreis-Ersatz-Depots had the following background. Since the beginning of the war and then through the all years of it, they were many movements of replacement units from their origin locations. It happened due to various reasons e.g. to make space for attacking forces, to garrison new territories etc. Normally, all the conscripts had to report to the local replacement unit after they were called for military service. In case the replacement unit was moved from the home station there was a necessity to assemble the conscripts (in so called collection points), induct them and send in small groups to appropriate replacement unit for the training. Wehrkreis-Ersatz-Depot was also used for receiving soldiers who returned from the field as convalescents or for any other reason and transport them to the replacement training unit. The depot was dissolved when replacement unit returned to his home location.
    Last edited by Stacez; 12-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Thank you guys for the very informative posts. It is much appreciated. Thanks again

Ray