Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

out of my depth...ID disc collection

Article about: Brilliant- well the 'shy' one is Fliegerhorst-Kompanie Wien Aspern, so a probably management company for an airfield in Wien, Aspern (probably not the main airfield in Vienna, but a smaller

?

Default Re: out of my depth...ID disc collection

Brilliant- well the 'shy' one is Fliegerhorst-Kompanie Wien Aspern, so a probably management company for an airfield in Wien, Aspern (probably not the main airfield in Vienna, but a smaller auxiliary one or something).

Now as for the GD, it looks decent enough but I don't think it's real because I have a couple of images of 100% authentic examples from the 2. and 3. Kompanie of Ersatz-Bataillon Infanterie-Regiment G.D. and while the font is the same for both of them, it's different from yours. Both also use a mix of capital and lower-case letters, i.e., it's 'Ers. Btl.' not 'ERS. BTL.', and one has a low roster number like yours, while one is quite high suggesting they did mark the discs the same way for quite some time. It's not impossible that the 1. Kompanie marked differently than the rest, but it seems unlikely. So until an image of a real example from the 1. Kompanie comes along, I'd class this one as pretty doubtful, but not 100% certain to be bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Ers Btl JR GD large.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	406501

This one in particular was recovered with a cache of insignia- shoulderboards, eagle and cuff-title, all removed from a uniform, bundled-up and stashed in a small hole beneath a tree, presumably by the man himself to hide his identity as a German soldier and a member of the Gro▀deutschland. I also have two images of clearly real discs from the 2. Kompanie with the exact same font.

The SS-Sani disc is still tough- overall it looks decent enough in truth, but as the GD showed, one really does sometimes have to see a known example to be sure. It has good features- the font looks realistic, the blood group letter is not from the same set, neither are the numbers, etc., but I can't find the unit anywhere- that's not uncommon for an Ersatz-Kompanie, however (below a Bataillon or Abteilung isn't always on the major lists), so isn't necessarily a fatal problem. With SS stuff though, it really seems necessary to demonstrate authenticity, not just to demonstrate lack of 'fakeness'. I'd class it as a decent possibility but as yet uncertain.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: out of my depth...ID disc collection

Thanks matt,

well taking two out the equation still gives me 80% worth of good ones and time to turn the others round subject to new info coming to light.

Compared to your GD post I would agree mine looks doubtful and the ss stuff is always a leap of faith IMO which is why I don't collect it.

Once again thanks and kind regards

tony

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123