Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks

Article about: Hi Guys, Bought a SS dog tag but was not issued. I have come across 3 disks, could anybody tell me if they are real & issued, and what units they are from. Many thanks.

Default Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks

Hi Guys,

Bought a SS dog tag but was not issued. I have come across 3 disks, could anybody tell me if they are real & issued, and what units they are from. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks   Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks  

Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks
    P
    Many

Default Re: Please help! Opinions on erkennungsmarken- ID disks

I won't comment on originality, as others are better at that than me, but the first appears to be for 8th company LandWehr Jager regiment 13 and has no blood group, so if real, is unissued.

The second appears to be 4th company Infantry Ersatz(replacement) battalion 6 and has a blood group of O and if real was issued.

Third is 1st company Cavalry Ersatz Abteilung (similar to Battalion) 5 and has the blood group B, and if real was issued. The other 3 digit number would be his roll number within the unit.

I think a search on the Lexicon de Wehrmacht would probably allow you to trace the parent units for these companies.

I am still learning on these and As I said, might have gotten it wrong and if that is the case, oops!!!!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

thanks for that jerry.
    i am after an infantry one if possable.

?

Hello,

Quote by Bond View Post
    I won't comment on originality, as others are better at that than me, but the first appears to be for 8th company LandWehr Jager regiment 13 and has no blood group, so if real, is unissued.
    The proper name of this regiment is: Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 13
    All these ID tags look fine for me and you'll find history of two of them in the following links:

Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 6 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Aufklärungs-Ersatz-Abteilung 5 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

thanks stacez.
    he thinks this one came from russia.
    has it anything to do with the 6th army.

?

Quote by Stacez View Post
    Hello,

The proper name of this regiment is: Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 13
    Indeed- in older german scripts the capital 'I' looked very similar to a capital 'J' so often the 'J' is used as an 'I' on Erkennungsmarken; to minimize the chance of confusion, a 'J' by itself is always 'Infanterie', and 'Jäger' is abbreviated 'Jäg' or 'Jg'.

And for the Kavallerie unit, the number is the Schwadron, not the Kompanie. Schwadron, Batterie and Kompanie are all equivalent next unit size down from a Bataillon or Abteilung, they're just different terms for different main unit types; Schwadron for Kavallerie (and any units that were formerly cavalry sometimes like this Aufklärungs, and even I think the 24. Panzer kept Schwadron as their terminology), and some transport unit types; Batterie for Artillerie, Flak, Sturmgeschütz, etc. and Kompanie for Infanterie, Panzer and various others.

All three discs look fine to me- a blood group letter indicates issue, save on very early discs (i.e. pre-1941), like the Landwehr-Infanterie, which may well have been issued since the Stammrollennummer isn't excessively high.

You'd have to look at the field units the replacement units supplied- usually the Regiment of the same number (i.e. Infanterie-Regiment 6 for the IEB6), and see where that went; often replacement units supplied several field units in the same Wehrkries, so that's another way to search.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

thanks again mat.
    i was thinking of buying two of them.
    which two do you think are the best.
    any advice would be most welcome.

?

If I were you I would buy the first and third one

thanks for that stacez.

?

Sure thing Tony The Kavallerie one is definitely uncommon, so that one for sure, and the Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon one is pretty common, but it's nice; the Landwehr disc is tough- it's nice and certainly uncommon as well, the thing is that it's not listed with the WWII units anywhere that I can find so it was possibly disbanded before the war- so it'd not technically be a WWII disc, but a between-the-wars one. Infanterie-Regiment 6 was in some interesting places- Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium, and then in Demjansk and finally in Kurland- both latter two places where special orders were given: the Demjansk shield and the Kurland cuff title...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast