Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A Quest for Our Members ? (J.R. 321)

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, I know perhaps this is madness, but here's is a quest for WRF members interested in WWII Erkennungsmarken. These two german dogtags were dug up in some years ago. The legend

Default A Quest for Our Members ? (J.R. 321)

Hello Gentlemen,
    I know perhaps this is madness, but here's is a quest for WRF members interested in WWII Erkennungsmarken.
    These two german dogtags were dug up in some years ago. The legend says that the guy found all the dogtags from two companies, all of them secured by a wire passed through one of the holes. They have been all buried together...

Why not trying to reunite those dogtags....i've seen at least 30 tags from this find. Maybe some were sold in Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, UK..etc.... There should be a lot of them around in private collections and why not here at WRF...
    If it works this thread will become a sticky one
    I do have roll numbers 34 and 87 from the 9th company...maybe two buddies ?
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Quest for Our Members ? (J.R. 321)  

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Quest for Our Members ? (J.R. 321)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: A Quest for Our Members ? (J.R. 321)

Nice early tag numbers !! IR 321 was part of the 197 Infanterie Div , famous Sevastopol Division
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi,
    I think they never belonged to 2 buddies. Actually I think they never been issued and that explains why whole tags with ( I assume) consecutive numbers were recovered on a piece of wire.
    Rgds
    Al

Hello Al,
    Personaly, i don't see anything wrong here. I have never said that those tags have been issued. I just mentioned that dogtags of at least two entire companies from J.R. 321 have been dug up...they are not fakes and they were meant to be issued...what happened, i can't say...
    I've seen many of them, so they do exist, all i'm saying is why not trying to reunite some of them here on WRF....if you Al, or any other member think that the idea is not that good or useless...don't hesitate to say so and i'll delete the thread without any offense taken...democracy is good my friends...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

?

Did Al say something negative at all? All he said is that they're likely unissued, and I agree. Not just for the fact that there were two Kompanie's worth of discs found together, but because J.R. 321 was formed in December 1939, so likley no original members wore discs marked JR321, but rather the Erstaz-Bataillone in which they started as was the standard practice. Only lost discs would be replaced with the JR321 ones, these examples being the 'stock' the unit carried for such cases. To some it might make them less interesting, but that hardly affects your idea.

Certainly there aren't a huge number of Erkennungsmarke collectors out there, which might help find some 'brothers' of these discs, however for pieces in such nice condition I wouldn't hesitate to believe WWII collectors in general might just pick one up to have an example. That might make the chances of locating any others rather difficult, but not impossible- I was fortunate enough to find TWO discs from the replacement unit to which my Grandmother's cousin belonged, one just a few numbers from his- so anything's possible

For my part, I can't help- I've not seen any of these before.