Become our sponsor and display your banner here

R./Flg.Ers.Btl.VII

Article about: Good afternoon guys, This is my latest addition, a half EKM from Reserve Flieger Ersatz Bataillon VII with rollnumber 346. I have read the info about the unit, but I still have a question. W

?

Default R./Flg.Ers.Btl.VII

Good afternoon guys,

This is my latest addition, a half EKM from Reserve Flieger Ersatz Bataillon VII with rollnumber 346.

I have read the info about the unit, but I still have a question. Was this an Ersatz unit for flying personel or/and Fallschirmjäger?

Thank you in advance!

Regards, Rik
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture R./Flg.Ers.Btl.VII   R./Flg.Ers.Btl.VII  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement R./Flg.Ers.Btl.VII
    P
    Many

Actually, the "R" is for "Rekrutenkompanie" [Recruits' Company].

According to the Lexikon der Wehrmacht website, the wartime Flieger-Ersatz-Bataillone were a Luftwaffe member's first station in the service and responsible for basic training (including basic infantry training), evaluating the recruits for their future occupational specialty and for general security duties in their garrison.

As such, they wouldn't have provided branch-specific training for aviators or paratroopers.

Flieger-Ersatz-Bataillon VII was formed in April 1942 at Großelfingen in Bavaria and moved to Nagold in Baden-Württemberg in 1943. Its commanders were
    Oberstleutnant Karl Winneberger, (17/04/42 - 28/05/43), Oberstleutnant Kurt Petersson (28/05/43 to 12/03/45) and Major Ernst Schülmann (12/03/45 to 08/05/45).
    Interestingly, the 3rd Company of FEB VII was one of the units responsible for proceeding personnel released from prisons for "probationary" frontline service prior to their transfer to the Lw. Jäger-Bataillone z.b.V.

?

Thank you very much for your reply and the additional information Andreas. Now I know why I saw a discussion on a German forum regarding the R on the EKM, wether it was Reserve or Rekrutenkompanie.

You have definitely answered my question and helped me a lot.

Regards, Rik

Addition: Flieger Ersatz Bataillon VII was involved in Operation Wacht am Rhein. (I found similar ekm in the Ardennes in the past). On May 4th 1945, five German soldiers fell in battle around Möthlitz. Among them were two 20-year-old Reserve Flieger Ersatz Bataillons VII, who most likely belonged to the Schill Division. These soldiers are still buried at the cemetery in Möthlitzer.