Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real or fake ??????

Article about: our dog tags were made by a Co. whenwe went in the army, i don't thinkanyone made their own

Default Real or fake ??????

If real , what can be said of it ?
    Thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real or fake  ??????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real or fake  ??????
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Real or fake ??????

Hi mate,

Im no expert on WWII German ID tags, but I would say that this one is a fake.
    Going on what I have learnt on this forum, I say this because of the following:

1: Spelling mistake, I believe that Jagererers should be spelt JAEGERERS. (I dont believe that this unit existed as spelt anyway)
    2: There is no hole in the bottom half of the tag, (when looking at it as it is posted)
    3: The lettering, should, I believe, be on an obvious straight line alignment.

As usual, I am willing to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 03-14-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Grammar/spelling

I believe that it is JAGER in German. In English it is "Jaeger ". Or so says the dictionary.
    I'm thinkin PZ JAGER is tank fighter and ERS is Ersatz
    Thanks

?

Quote by panzer9209 View Post
    I believe that it is JAGER in German. In English it is "Jaeger ". Or so says the dictionary.
    I'm thinkin PZ JAGER is tank fighter and ERS is Ersatz
    Thanks
    You're right on that mate.
    It looks like the wording has been "run into one" which is why I am seeing it as I posted above, ie: "Jagerers".
    If its a genuine ID disc, that would give you "Infantry Panzer Jager Ersatz Btn/Regt 213"

Whether it is genuine or not, you will have to wait for others more knowledgeable than me to come in on it.

Regards etc

Ian D

BTW, a "Panzer Jager" was, literally, a "tank hunter"
    Last edited by jimpy; 03-14-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Addition

?

Quote by jimpy View Post
    1: Spelling mistake, I believe that Jagererers should be spelt JAEGERERS. (I dont believe that this unit existed as spelt anyway)
    No, normally, it should be spelt as: Jäger Ersatz and there is a space between visible.

Quote by jimpy View Post
    2: There is no hole in the bottom half of the tag, (when looking at it as it is posted)
    3: The lettering, should, I believe, be on an obvious straight line alignment.
    Even if this ID tag doesn't have bottom hole and the abbreviations aren't in the same line it doesn't make it automatically a fake one. It's just the way it was made...

Quote by jimpy View Post
    If its a genuine ID disc, that would give you "Infantry Panzer Jager Ersatz Btn/Regt 213"
    No, it will give you:
    INF PZ JAGER ERS KP 213 = Infanterie-Panzerjäger-Ersatz-Kompanie 213 = Infanterie-Panzerjäger-Ersatz-Kompanie/ Infanterie-Ersatz-Regiment 213 - infantry tank hunter replacement company/ 213th infantry replacement regiment
    Infanterie-Ersatz-Regimenter - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Last edited by Stacez; 03-15-2011 at 01:07 AM.

?

As I said in post #2 above
    "3: The lettering, should, I believe, be on an obvious straight line alignment."

And again, as I said in post #4 above
    "Whether it is genuine or not, you will have to wait for others more knowledgeable than me to come in on it."

Regards etc
    Ian D

?

the letters are crooked,, not looking good

?

That's an interesting one to be sure- it appears to be a field-made disc, perhaps a replacement for one lost. It explains pretty much all the oddities, not the least of which is the full text 'JAGER', which is completely abnormal, the otherwise bad lack of the Umlaut that should be over the 'A', and the 'KP' being out of place. The primary reason it's likely this disc is real is that it's not a particularly rare or 'interesting' unit, and it's obviously quite crudely-made, so it's just not worth a lot. Fakers make real, proper style discs and choose field units more people will recognize and desire. Were it LAH or something, I might be suspicious, but not with a simple Infanterie-Panzerjäger.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Outstanding assesment Matt! You are indeed an integral part of this forum. I hope you realize that your time and efforts are not unappreciated. Ditto for all our fine moderators. Thank you gentlemen!

Jay

?

The only thing that bothers me about this disk is if it is an "ers" or replacement company, and this soldier was still in the replacement area why would it be crudely re-made? If he was in the front line somewhere wouldn't the disk be for the current combat unit not the replacement company? I am no expert but if someone could let me know how that might work I would appreciate it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast