Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Dog Tag

Article about: Hi guys , i posted this up http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldbu...rigade-210315/ & i have had someone say the dog tag is bad , so is it ? Thanks

?

Default SS Dog Tag

Hi guys , i posted this up https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...rigade-210315/ & i have had someone say the dog tag is bad , so is it ? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dog Tag  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dog Tag
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Dog Tag

I don't see anything immediatly bad about it- the unit did exist, although it was only created in April 1943, so it's perhaps a little tough to believe 5000 men went through by the end of the war; it could be that it's unissued stock though. Some might be thinking it's an old blank that's been stamped more recently, however I don't see the obvious type of 'halo' around the letters that'd be expected. A photo of the back would help since there'd be obvious damage to the patina under each letter if it were a fake. If there's not, that isn't it. The text is correct, the age looks real enough and it's not one of the usual 'sexy' units fakers would choose- it's simply SS-Infanterie-Geschütz-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Bataillon 1, so nothing super-special.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Here is the link of the soldbuch & documents it came with https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/soldb...rigade-210315/

Here is three photo's of the back so hope these can help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dog Tag   SS Dog Tag  

SS Dog Tag  

?

Yup, there's definitely no indication of it being a legitimate original blank disc that was marked recently- so I don't see just what issue anyone would have with it. Since the document shows the Stammrollennummer isn't unrealistically high and others have given the document a 'thumbs-up', I see no reason to think the disc isn't real.

It's really great that you have all those associated documents because this is a perfect example of how soldiers were sent where there was a need sometimes- I'd be a lot of people would see SS-IG AuE Btl 1 and think "LAH", but that's not the case; also even though he came from an Infanteriegeschütz training unit, he wasn't posted to the Brigade's 13. Kompanie (IG), but rather its 4. Kompanie (heavy), which is usually MGs.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

As a novice on these, I had wondered why if it was battalion 1 it was not for the LAH, so thanks for the answer, as my example is for that unit. I also assume that not all SS tags were marked Waffen SS on the reverse, as is my example?

I am glad it is good news for you Mark.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Yup, there's definitely no indication of it being a legitimate original blank disc that was marked recently- so I don't see just what issue anyone would have with it. Since the document shows the Stammrollennummer isn't unrealistically high and others have given the document a 'thumbs-up', I see no reason to think the disc isn't real.

It's really great that you have all those associated documents because this is a perfect example of how soldiers were sent where there was a need sometimes- I'd be a lot of people would see SS-IG AuE Btl 1 and think "LAH", but that's not the case; also even though he came from an Infanteriegeschütz training unit, he wasn't posted to the Brigade's 13. Kompanie (IG), but rather its 4. Kompanie (heavy), which is usually MGs.
    Many thanks for this information Matt

- - Updated - -

Quote by Bond View Post
    As a novice on these, I had wondered why if it was battalion 1 it was not for the LAH, so thanks for the answer, as my example is for that unit. I also assume that not all SS tags were marked Waffen SS on the reverse, as is my example?

I am glad it is good news for you Mark.
    Thanks Jerry , any chance of a peek at your tag ?

?

You are correct Jerry not all Waffen SS tags are marked as such on the reverse !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    Many thanks for this information Matt

[COLOR="silver"]- - Updated - -[/COLOR

Thanks Jerry , any chance of a peek at your tag ?
    Here you go mate.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dog Tag   SS Dog Tag  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Original tag, the number is OK, when the unit was created- all numbers must follow from number 1
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

A few unit details , SS-IG-Ausbildungs- und Ersatz-Batallion 1 (Breslau-Lissa)
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast