Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS dog tag in unexpected location.

Article about: Thanks for the reply, hope to get a photo when I get round. Its a complete disc unbroken. Post pic as soon as I get it.

Default SS dog tag in unexpected location.

A friend of mine who lives just between Ste Mere Eglise and Ste martin Vareville has just unearthed the following items while working on the barn;

High seas fleet war badge
    Corroded alloy SS cap eagle
    Dog tag marked
    20770/
    SS-PZ Gren ERS BTL 9
    along with a heap of other items.

Question is, why would these items be here.
    As I understand it there were no W-SS units in this area. the disc is unbroken and has a small clip attached for the cord. The 17th SS were near Carentan which I guess would be the nearest units. I had no camera with me today but will try and get a photo in the next week or so.

Thanks for any help.
    Shaun.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS dog tag in unexpected location.
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS dog tag in unexpected location.

you have to remenber American soldiers stay in the area for years after the battle this could be a GI war trophy.

good answer,, food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only our collectibles could talk,,

Hi, thats what we thoughthe straight away. The French family who sold the house on ( and had been there since the war) are sure the Americans were not in the house for too long after the liberation of Ste Mere Eglise.
    Two German medical officers were billeted in the house, Heer we believe.
    It would be nice to find where the Ers Btl 9 would have been prior to D Day and where the disc wearer would have been.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Shaun.

Sounds like some very nice items found there.
    It will be interesting to see photos...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by pretvacant View Post
    It would be nice to find where the Ers Btl 9 would have been prior to D Day and where the disc wearer would have been.
    Hello,

SS-Panzergrenadier Ersatz Bataillon 9, then known as SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Bataillon 9 was located in Stralsund, Germany.
    It was only a replacement and training battalion responsible for replacements for 9. SS-Panzer-Division "Hohenstaufen". This division had fought in Normandy, so it may be the reason that these things were found in the vicinity of Ste Mere Eglise.
    Last edited by Stacez; 12-23-2010 at 10:42 AM.

?

A Flottenkriegsabzeichen was amongst the items? That makes the idea of all the stuff being collected in a very short period after the taking of Ste. Mere Eglise hard to believe- it sounds rather more likely they were collected later or even after the war.

The disc's marking is odd- as Stacez mentioned, the listed title of the unit is SS-Panzergrenadier-Ausbildungs und Ersatz-Bataillon 9, having been renamed thus from Panzergrenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon Der Führer; in many cases in the Heer, units had designation chages from Ersatz to Ersatz und Ausbildungs and back (sometimes spilt into both E u A and just E), so it's not impossible the unit began 'life' as SS-Pzgr. E. Btl. 9, it may just have been for only a short time right at the beginning. It will be interesting to see the piece, because there's always the chance it's not real and the oddity is just an error.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I am thinking Grave registration.

?

That would only work if the disc were just a bottom half- is it Shaun?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

SS-PZ Gren ERS BTL 9

Was a replacement unit for 9th SS Hohenstaufen, but You can't be sure that the owner of Your friends tag was in unit above. He could get order to join every SS unit at least I believe it's a nice find. I've seen SS-PZ Gren ERS BTL 9 tags in almost whole Europe (they become everywhere - Czech Rep., Poland, France, Germany etc.) cause they got assignation to many, different W-SS unit, not allways
    9th SS Hohenstaufen. Best regards!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast